Thursday, June 18, 2009

Cheddar Cheese Bread

At this very moment:
The Quiet Man is night fishing for sea bass with his brothers on Madaket Beach.
The girl cousins are tucked into sleeping bags watching "I love Lucy" and waiting for buttered popcorn.
The boy cousins are playing cops and robbers on the lawn with Nerf guns, with a little bit of wrestling and kick boxing thrown in for good measure.
I'm finishing up my fourth novel of the trip( a Poe biography, Morgan's Crossing, Breathing Lessons, and now Hurry Down Sunshine, plus I'm reading Johnny Tremain out loud to the charges) and wearing my new aqua blue Nantucket T-shirt that I found in a bargain bin for $6. The cheapest souveneir on the island, unless you count the seashells.
The yellow roses on the porch are straining in the wind and storm clouds are gathering, which might mean that my fisherman will be home sooner rather than later.
I'm stealing a moment from this very moment, to talk to you, dear readers. I may not get through my Father's Day menu if I don't borrow a little from this very moment. Today is cheddar cheese spread for sourdough bread. Mix it up, spread it on some sourdough bread, broil it and you'll be in cheesy bread heaven. The spread is also divine on baked potatoes, except to be honest, I seldom have any extra because I am overly smitten with the bread. But since you are less greedy and more prudent than I am, pop a couple of baked potatoes in the oven to savor with cheese spread. Mmm... Life is good. Hope you are all enjoying this very moment, wherever you are.
Money Saving Tips: When Tillamook cheddar cheese is on sale , I buy a couple loaves. (Albertson's regularly has it for $5 for 2 lbs.) It's the best for this spread, but any cheddar will work well. Swap the sourdough bread with any sturdy variety.
Cheddar Cheese Spread
Estimated Cost: $4.00
1 cup butter, softened
2 cups finely shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon tabasco
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Combine all ingredients and beat until fluffy. Use for baked potatoes or spread generously on sourdough bread and broil until melted and bubbly. This will keep for one week in the fridge.
Up Next:
Honey and Ginger Ribs for Father's Day

17 comments:

gigi said...

I would need to leave out the Tabasco :( but it sounds perfect as well as your wonderful vacation.
Enjoy.

Erin said...

Mmmmm. Anything on bread sounds good to me!

Meg said...

I've been dying to make the blueberry muffins you mentioned a few days back. Did you post them and I missed them?

Fantastic Mr. R said...

Looks good enough to be the whole meal. Thanks. Your vacation sounds just perfect.

Niki Jolene said...

Yum!

Enjoy your vacation..sounds like a fab time. You are a girl after my own heart, reading every day of your trip. I read 50 every summer as a challenge to myself.

:)

The JR said...

Great vacation. Recipe looks good. Ramona

Evelyn said...

Oh....my goodness that looks good. I think I'll be making it for our Father's Day dinner! I'm so glad you had an enjoyable vacation!!

Amanda said...

Oh girl, that looks so good! I feel bad, I haven't been here in a while :( I promise to visit more often! Hope to see you around mine soon too! :)

Catherine said...

I finally have my hands free for commenting! I've been looking and looking at this delicious bread and it may be just the thing to entice me to return to the kitchen. It looks so delicious and I can't wait to eat it! I'm glad you're having such a great vacation, it sounds amazing. We miss you guys so much! Kiss your kiddos for me!

Maria said...

Hubs loves cheesy everything. He will love this!

test it comm said...

You just can't go wrong with golden brown melted cheese! The cheesy toast looks good.

Marie Rayner said...

That looks so good Erin, very similar to rarebit, but not quite! Sounds like you are having a great time!

Sophie said...

Oooh cheesy bread! I love cheesy biscuits, carbs and cheese were meant for each other. I like how you spiced it up too. I'd dip these in a nice hot bowl of soup :)!

Michal said...

i am reading this from my hospital bed, desperately wishing that i could have some cheddar cheese bread right. this. instant. did i mention that the first two weeks of lactating are the most ravenous that i ever experience? this hospital food is just not cutting it. i need some of your bread!
your nantucket trip sounds absolutely perfect. hope your road trip is as well.
i'm going to make some of this when i get home-- it doesn't look too taxing for a postpartum mama. it may be all we have for dinner, but i don't think i'll hear any complaints!:)

the twins said...

that looks so good. of course, anything with melted cheese/cheese sauce always is. =) thanks for the recipe!

Aggie said...

Oh my heaven...that looks so darn good.

I loved reading about your moment, and am jealous that you are through 4 books already!! Sounds like a wonderful vacation!!

Girl Fisher said...

Made this today and it is wonderful!