Monday, November 3, 2008

Tuscan Vegetable Soup

Greetings from New York. Early Saturday morning, a mere six hours after we carted in the trick-or-treat candy, the two charges and I hopped a flight to upstate for a visit with Oma and Opa, the Quiet Man's parents. The little ones carried their violins onto the airplane, while I loaded my carry-on down with a sack full of candy and a stack of novels. It was a case of serious overpacking. I should know myself better by now; I never want a piece of candy on November 1st. For me, the sugary charm is over on October 31st-and in some cases even earlier. This year for example, after various batches of donuts and, ahem, a last minute Halloween Day foray into MORE cupcake making (ay mamacita!), candy has temporarily lost it's appeal. I didn't even desire a single piece on Halloween Day and my little cowboy actually chose an apple out of his treatbag over his miniature candy bars. (You can still get apples for trick or treat when you live in Smalltown, USA.)
So if you are looking for a recipe to help you use up your extra crunchies and chewies, I'm afraid you have come to the wrong place. It'll be at least a week before I'll be able to look the black and orange sweeties in the eye. And even then, I prefer to take my sugar with butter and flour, warm out of the oven.
But, if you're looking for liquid penance, a healthful and hearty soup to hose down the sugar and enliven the tastebuds, then read on. This cousin to a minestrone is quick to make, belly-warming, and best of all-it tastes even better the next day. So forget about the Snickers, the Reeses, the Whoppers, the Twizzlers. This soup is the treat you've been looking for.
Money Saving Tips:
You'll save money over the canned varieties, not to mention produce far superior results by making homemade soup. You can use bouillion cubes and water for the broth, or look for cans or broth to be on sale, especially between now and Thanksgiving. This soup makes great use of leftover pasta as well.
Tuscan Vegetable Soup
Estimated Cost: $6.50 for 6 servings
Notes: If you are using leftover pasta, add it in at the very end, just to heat through. If you have any leftovers, you'll need to add more liquid before serving.
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
2 carrots, peeled, and chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon dried basil
pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon balsamic or red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1 (14 ounce) can Italian style diced tomatoes, undrained, pureed until smooth in blender
1 (14 ounce) can kidney beans, undrained
2 (14 ounce) cans vegetable or chicken broth
1/2 cup small pasta, uncooked
1 yellow summer squash, cut into 1 inch pieces
1 cup fresh green beans, cut into 1 inch pieces
In a large stockpot, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add onions, carrots, celery, and garlic. Cook, stirring often, until vegetables are softened, about five minutes. Add basil, pepper flakes, vinegar and brown sugar and cook for 30 seconds. Add pureed tomatoes, beans, and broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and cook for 15 minutes. Add pasta, squash, and green beans. Bring to a simmer and cook until pasta and green beans are cooked through, about 8-10 minutes. Taste soup and add salt and pepper as needed. Serve with parmesan cheese and fresh basil or parsley, if desired.
Coming Tommorow:
Tuesdays with Dorie:
Cranberry Orange Rugelach

46 comments:

amycaseycooks said...

I can't get enough of soups!! How happy it makes me to have a pot in fridge. Thanks for the recipe.

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Oooh, such a hearty soup!! Yum!!

Have fun in New York!!

Unknown said...

yum. Thanks. I have tons of broth sitting around waiting for em to make a homemade soup. This was just what I needed. A friendly reminder how simple and filling it can be! Yay! Thanks so much!

Anonymous said...

What ya doing in New York? This soup looks so good after Halloween.

gigi said...

Have fun in New York and enjoy your time away. At least you have your babies with you and maybe Quite Man will have the Halloween stuff put away by the time you get back home and the Thanksgiving mantel all set up for you.

So ready for soup! Made broccoli soup last night. I should try this one tonight. Can't get enough of the healthy stuff!

Amy said...

mmmmm... this looks diving, Prudy! I am thinking of soup tonite and this might just be the most perfect solution! Hugs...

Mary Bergfeld said...

I know Oma and Opa will enjoy the visit. I know I'll enjoy your soup. Have a great time. When do you do Italy?

RecipeGirl said...

Have fun in NY! It's definitely turning out to be soup weather here for the next couple of days!

Mary Ann said...

That is kind of funny. I didn't want to eat any candy either. I can't really explain it, but I understand where you are coming from. This soup looks wonderful and I know I would love it. I will put it on the week's menu! Have a great week Prudy!

Beth (jamandcream) said...

I could do with a bowl of this at the moment!! Nice and hearty!

Sara said...

Your vegetable soup looks delish! I will be making this soup this week. Thanks! Unfortunately I still have the sweet tooth for halloween candy...it better die down soon!

Cathy said...

Winter arrived here almost overnight. A steamy bowl of soup will be perfect.

vanillasugarblog said...

I love making soups and freezing them for those really cold days in jan & feb.
Have fun in new york. Isn't there snow there already?

Jamie said...

Yum that looks amazing, I may try this tonight! Delicious!

Esi said...

I am loving soups right now. Have a great trip!

Cathy said...

Oh, this soup will officially be part of our post-Halloween sugar detox program, without question. If anything can counteract the effects of Nerds and Airheads, this soup can. I hope that you had an easy flight to NY. I always overpack when flying with my kids. If they all melt down and the trip is an unfettered disaster, at least it won't be for lack of supplies.

Chef Jeena said...

This is so good Prudy I just love healthy recipes like this. I bet the flavours are really impressive, it looks fabulous!

anudivya said...

Prudy, I just love the bowl in which you served the soup! Of course the soup is super healthy and comforting.

Anonymous said...

So much better than Hallowe'en Candy!

Christiana said...

That soup looks great! My kids call my parents Oma and Papa...it was supposed to be Opa, but our first child would only say Papa, so it stuck.

Allie said...

Your soup looks fantastic! We're supposed to have a cold front so I'll save this till then.

Maria said...

I am glad you posted something healthy! Most of us are sick of sugar by now!! Have fun in NY!!!

Lucy..♥ said...

Soup looks so very tempting just about now... lunchtime is inching ever so closely!! Have fun while you here in NY... ;-)

Marjie said...

This soup is beautiful! Hope you're having fun in New York; it isn't as cold here this week as last, lucky you! Hope the little ones enjoy the visit with grandparents, and hope they aren't spoiled too rotten!

Patsyk said...

Your soup looks so wonderful! I love soups that have so many delicious veggies in them... they are so hearty and comforting.

Peter M said...

That's a hearty chunky soup and I like the farfalle in there too!

Enjoy New Yawk.

Pam said...

This tasty soup sounds perfect for this cold rainy day in Oregon.

Aggie said...

I need this soup! It looks perfect.

And yes, by Saturday - many Reese's cups later - I was over candy. Thank goodness!!

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

Your soup looks hearty and delicious! I hope you have a wonderful trip. I grew up in upstate New York -- many happy memories. Have a good time!

grace said...

welcome to new york--i hope you enjoy your stay. heck, i hope i enjoy my stay... :)
meanwhile, what a glorious, colorful, warming soup! i'd love a bowl right now, to tell you the truth. when's supper?

Clumbsy Cookie said...

It's getting cold here! And nowI want that soup to keep me warm! Have fun in NY with Opa and Oma!

The Blonde Duck said...

You always know how to soothe the soul and make us feel right, Prudy. Another winner and another recipe for my stash! Have fun with the grands!

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

This soup looks great expecially after i've eaten my share of candy the last few days.

Anonymous said...

The least expensive broth solution that I like is Knorr chicken bouliion granules. It comes in a giant container at walmart (the grocery store has a smaller one) for almost the same price as the small one at the grocery store. Last time I checked it was under $, and you use only 1 tsp per cup of water. It's much more effective (taste-wise AND cost wise) than buillon cubes, and cheaper than canned broth, even on sale.

Canned broth, however, does go on good sales this month if you prefer it.

Laura said...

I have to tell you this looks great. I used your sweet and spicy crock pot chicken recipe and added some extra spices. It came out AWESOME. I made it yesterday and cooked up some mexican red rice and black beans for dinner tonight. My family will love it. Thanks for your great recipes!

La Bella Cooks said...

What a great soup! I hope you are enjoying your trip to New York.

Anna M. said...

Yum, Yum! I love soup anytime of the year, but especially during the fall when it's chilly out...can't wait to try it! Hope you have a nice time in New York! =)

Unknown said...

This looks so delish! I need to make hearty soups more often!

Natalie Que said...

You're blogging on Vacay?? Tsk Tsk -go enjoy NY and your Pop Pop and Gaengy. The soup looks wonderful but what is even more delicious to me is how you are the mix-master of words -your post is charming!

Michelle said...

Oh 'tis the season for yummy soups and this one looks YUMMY! Thanks for sharing, I will have to make this for sure! Then again, I say that with every recipe you post. HA!

Michelle

Marie Rayner said...

Delicious looking soup Erin!! I didn't get any trick or treaters, nor did I get any treats, so I'm still good to go for candy! Yummo. What I wouldn't do for a handful of Candy corn. would be delish!

Dee said...

You're in NY? I'm so jealous!
It's as hot as hell here, but I can never say no to a good soup.

p/s
I love your hot chocolate cups. Your kids look gorgeous. Happy Halloween, even if it's a little late.

Sophie said...

This has convinced me that I need to get over my stew fetish and start making soups, looks so yummy. I'll take this with a yummy sandwich, please :D.

Rosie said...

Just what I need a steaming bowl of this soup to ward of the cold here in the U.K. Lovely recipe thanks for sharing :)

Rosie x

Queen B. said...

Love soup all fall & winter... thanks prudy.

Emily said...

I know this is a old entry but I loved this soup so much when I made it this week that I had to stop in and tell you how great it was.

I've been making quite a few of your recipes lately, actually. I hadn't realized that I'd saved so many of them!