Friday, October 3, 2008

Miniature Apple Granola Turnovers with Maple Glaze

Welcome to my new favorite cutie-pie dessert. It's subject to change at any moment, but for now, you're looking at the current apple of my eye. I've been yearning to make an apple turnover, but as with caramel apples, I didn't want to commit to a giant portion by taking that first bite. By making itty bitty ones, I planned to save myself from plunging headlong into a greedy display of full-sized gluttony.

But I also wasn't planning on them being so doggone delicious. How was I to know?

The apples and cinnamon give them that homey-fall flavor, plus you'll get some crunch from the granola, all encased in layers of buttery flakiness and crowned with a sweet maple glaze. And I'm pretty certain, ahem, that scientific studies, ahem, assert that miniature foods have exactly 1/100th the calories of their full sized counter parts, tut,tut. So, put them on your weekend menu for dessert...or a snack....or breakfast.

They're so easy to make too, dangerously easy, since nothing can stop me from having another batch in the oven in ten minutes. You'll need a box of frozen puff pastry, and don't be afraid if you haven't tried it! It's handy, tasty, and saves my hide all the time when guests pop by. It converts into meals, appetizers, and desserts quicker than you can say, "Puff pastry makes my knees shake." If you can cut a piece of paper in half, you can work with puff pastry.

Have a great weekend, everybody. Now go plunge headlong into your own greedy display of miniature apple turn-over gluttony. Isn't that what weekends are for? Money Saving Tips: With the holidays around the corner, look for puff pastry to go on sale; then stock up when it does. I try to find it for about $2.00 a box. It will be located near the frozen pie crusts. Swap out the granola for nuts if you've got some on hand. Any apple will work well here.
Miniature Granola Apple Turnovers with Maple Glaze
Estimated Cost: $4.50 for 16 turnovers
1/2 of a 17 ounce box of frozen puff pastry, thawed
2 small apples, peeled and diced
squeeze of lemon
1 tablespoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
about 1/2 cup granola (I used my homemade recipe)
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon maple syrup, or 1/2 teaspoon maple extract
1/2 to 1 cup powdered sugar
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a large cookie sheet. On a flat surface, roll puff pastry out to 12 by 12 inch triangle. Cut in half lengthwise and width wise to form four squares. Cut each new square lengthwise and width wise into four small squares; you should have 16 squares in all. In a small bowl, combine apple, lemon, sugar, and cinnamon. Place about 1 heaping teaspoon into center of square. Sprinkle with about 1 scant teaspoon granola. Fold square over to form triangle. Pinch together a little, to help it stay closed in places. (I like mine to come open and show the filling.) Repeat with all 16 turnovers and place them on cookie sheet together. They won't spread so you can fit them all on. Bake for 12-18 minutes, or until puff pastry is nicely browned. Remove from oven. Let cool for 3 minutes on cookie sheet. Transfer to rack. Meanwhile, prepare glaze by combining butter and syrup. Stir in powdered sugar to form a thick glaze. Drizzle glaze over warm turnovers and sprinkle with granola. Serve warm if possible, but room temperature is delicious also.
Up Next:
A look at the small town I call home
Slow Cooker Peach Marmalade Chicken

62 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Those turnovers just became MY favorite "cutie-pie" dessert as well!! :0)

Allie said...

How tasty and simple, I'm loving it too!

Marjie said...

I like miniature desserts. that way, I can have some and not feel guilty! Plus, they are cute, as you said.

Eleganza Strings/ The DeLadurantey Family said...

Oh yum! I love apples!

Hannah

Paula Pereira said...

Hello, I am enjoying your fun blog and the music that goes with it! All the food looks superb!

Mary Bergfeld said...

These look really good. It's hard to beat the apple/cinnamon combo.

Tami said...

I always leave your blog starving. lol! Once again, you've made me hungry. These apple turnovers look delicious! I can't wait to try them. I'm going to send this to my Mom, too, because I know that she would love them.

Mary Ann said...

I love anything mini and these being dessert make them all that much more exciting! Cute and tasty!

gigi said...

Mini is the word! I need to start eating everything 'mini' might help me get thru the next 3months and still be able to wear my clothes. I have everything to make these except the puff pastry. I've stated making a list and leaving it by my computer so I can grap it on the way to the grocery store. I think my Sunday school class would love these too. Have a good weekend.

Kelly said...

I just finished breakfast and I am hungry again..those look fabulous!
And they are so cute!!
I love small things..

Aggie said...

I love that these are minis...I totally agree about having to "commit" to eating the whole big dessert...these guys are so cute and look so tasty! I love that maple glaze and the granola!

alexandra's kitchen said...

these are so cute! and I have puff pastry in my freezer. hooray!

Proud Italian Cook said...

I'm plunging into this for sure!

Cathy said...

Mini pastries = mini guilt in my book! I just discovered frozen puff pastry thank to a Barefoot Bloggers recipe (I'm a late bloomer, I know) and can't believe I lived this long without it! These look fabulous -- can't wait to make them!

La Bella Cooks said...

I'm loving that glaze all dripping down the side!

Deborah said...

These are gorgeous!

Ali said...

they look so yummy. I would love to try them!

I am so glad you got the clips and love them! I can't believe it took that long for them to get to you!

Sara said...

These look absolutely amazing. I would make them this weekend if I had the puff pastry. I will definitely make them soon. thanks, and have a good weekend!

Prudy said...

Ali:
I'm sure they didn't take that long. I just am not good about getting my mail.

Maria said...

I still have some of my homemade granola, now I know how to finish it off! This dessert looks fabulous! I love mini treats!

The Blonde Duck said...

Prudy, you're killing me! I just knocked my teeth into the computer screen trying to eat this!

CECIL said...

Adorable mini sweet things always preferred in my kitchen. For not having much of sweet tooth, these sizes are perfect!!! One small bite each time. And you are so right about stocking up puff pastry!! In my dream, of course I will always have homemade version one in fridge. But really..that's last on my list for this hectic season!

anudivya said...

Perfect bite size turnovers... Looks so pretty!
Nice tip about stocking up on puff pastry, I tend to use them a lot as well and always looking for ways to save ;)

Pam said...

Those are perfect tiny treats. I love anything with maple glaze!

Catherine said...

I've never made turnovers before. But I think that you have just inspired me to try. These looks delicious!

Esi said...

Soo cute and little! Then you can have one and not feel guilty.

Natalie Que said...

These look just delightful! So pretty, AND so delicious! I tried in vain to snatch one off the screen. I think this is one of those MUST TRY recipes I'm going have tempting me in the back of my mind until I break down and make them! Though I fear it won't stop there, once I try them I know I'll be hooked!

NKP said...

I could eat about a hundred of those - and by your calculations that would only add up to the calorie count of one full sized one! Happy day!

Clumbsy Cookie said...

The apple of your eye!!! They are sooooo cute, Ive been wanting to do your granola for a while. Maybe I should realy do it now!!!

RecipeGirl said...

Delish! They are rather cutie-pie, aren't they? And maple glaze is a great thing too!

Michal said...

i'll be watching for the puff pastry sale. those look like a great addition to a dessert bar because they are mini.

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

Those are just the cutest desserts! I wish I was having a Fall party -- they would be perfect to serve!

Anonymous said...

So great! I'm with you, I love the miniature candies that are out now because, alas they have no calories!

Jenny said...

Yumma Yumma! I am a mini lover myself, so I know I'd love these cutie pies!

MK and Co. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
MK and Co. said...

So petite yet so dangerously delicious! Can't wait to make them! Why does everything look better when it's smaller? I know that is certainly true with this dessert.....and noses(sigh).

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

These look great! I love all mini desserts.

Rosie said...

Oh my these look SO gorgeous!

Rosie x

PG CakeCraft said...

hi, just visited ur awesome blog and already i'm loving it so much.
ur apple turnover has 'turned me on" & now i've to raid the fridge and start with ur fabulous recipe. thanx.

Anonymous said...

Oh P.. these are my favorite, my mum used to make something similar and goodness as they came out of the oven, our little hands were be tapped not to touch anymore... leaving mum to have to make yet another batch, she soon learned to hide them.

Anonymous said...

i just love this , you just make me hungry, dessert looks delicious . you blog is very good

Marie Rayner said...

Oh wow, I am in love with your Mini Turnovers!!! How delectably delicious looking and so seasonal as well! Yummo!

Deb in Hawaii said...

Very cute and the granola makes them actually a health food right?!

Content in a Cottage said...

Swoon! Those look absolutely delicious and I am sure they are. They look very complicated but when you read the directions, they are simple. How great is that?!! Thanks for an impressive dessert.

Pamela said...

I've been away from my computer for too long! These look incredibly delicious!

Ada Marie and Benjamin said...

I really want to make these, but I live overseas and can't find frozen puff pastry dough! I am very intimidated to try to make it myself. Any ideas for a simple way to make it?

Prudy said...

Ada:
Pie crust makes a great substitute, either homemade or store bought. Best of luck!

test it comm said...

These sound so good! I just picked up a bunch of apples as well.

Lisa magicsprinkles said...

Puff pastry makes my knees shake too! I am all over this recipe.

Birdie said...

Granola in turnovers---what a great idea. And who doesn't love puff pastry?

Half Baked said...

Love your little cutie pie! I love mini desserts. they don't have calories if they'er small, right?!?

Patsyk said...

Those are the cutest little desserts... EVER! :)

The Griffis 4 said...

wow...yum!

vanillasugarblog said...

Ohhh yes these are cutie pie indeed!!! How many of those little cuties I could devour is scary.

Leslie said...

ohhhh..so delish..Right up my Alley!
BTW: I am on the mad hunt for my Blueberry Crumble Recipe!

Peter M said...

Granola filling, that's cool and I like that they are small..1 dozen for me!

Unknown said...

I'd love one these right now. Yum. A group of my friends and I are planning to go apple picking soon so I've gathering apple recipes. I can't wait to make these!

Jaime said...

oh yum.... i love anything apple. what a great, simple recipe!

nicole said...

Oh my goodness! Those little beauties look soooo good.

Emily said...

What an excellent idea!

grace said...

apple turnovers? yum. apple turnovers with granola? fantastic. apple turnovers with granola draped with maple? heck yeah!!

Sophie said...

This is such a fun idea, these are too cute and tasty. A great fall dessert and flavorful way to use apples :).