Thursday, January 6, 2011

Sesame and Soy Roasted Broccoli

I promised you some healthful January food. But it's no good if it isn't delicious. So rest at ease; this broccoli is delicious. You might be thinking that my New Year's Resolutions have made me a little loopy. I might be a little loopy, but it has nothing to do with my New Year's Resolutions. (Besides I didn't make any.) This broccoli is not your typical microwaved, soggy, cruciferous florets. Broccoli that is roasted at a high temperature becomes slightly sweet and delicately crispy with a pleasant, nutty aftertaste. With a drizzle of soy and sesame it really is delicious. So make it in January because it's healthful and full of fiber and antioxidants-just like I promised-but make it all year because it tastes really, really good. Besides it will make your mother really happy if you tell her you had broccoli for dinner and that you liked it.
Money Saving Tips: Check the price on loose broccoli and bagged. Sometimes the bagged is cheaper and it's a great time saver. Sesame oil is pricey but a little goes a very long way.
Sesame and Soy Roasted Broccoli
Estimated Cost: $4.00 for six generous servings (about 1 cup each)
1 (12 ounce) bag broccoli florets
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon soy sauce
salt and pepper to taste
Line cookie sheet with foil. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spread broccoli on cookie sheet and coat drizzle with olive oil (or coat with cooking spray) and sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper. Roast broccoli for 10 minutes. Drizzle with sesame and soy and roast for10 minutes longer, or until broccoli is browned in places and crisp tender.
Next Up: Better for you Homemade Pizza

16 comments:

The JR said...

I luv broccoli. Am going to have to give it a try roasted.

Katie and Mark said...

Tasty! I really like broccoli, and this looks perfect! Thanks. Plus, I really can eat this on my darn New Year's weight challenge. *sigh*

Kerrie said...

Roasted Broccoli is delish. Will have to add this variant to our list.
Thanks Prudy!

Adrienne said...

Broccoli is my favorite vegetable but I've never roasted it. I will be trying this one out soon.

Tightwad Mom said...

Sounds delicious, and much better than plain steamed broccoli.

Anonymous said...

What do you do with the tablespoon of olive oil?

Prudy said...

Anonymous, Oops! Sorry-I meant to include the cooking spray as a lower-cal option, but then I left out the olive oil. Use either or! Thanks for letting me know. All better now.

Unknown said...

Prudelicious, how have you been? I'm not sure if I can jump on board with the broccoli bit. Don't get me wrong, I love it. I love it in my eggs, pizza (which I'm glad is next), toast , and even cereal. The problem is my girlfriend! She can't stand ANY vegetable or fruit. Sometimes I feel like tossing her out like a month old soggy brown bannana. But you know I could never do that. Who would vacuum?
Can't wait for the pizza........

Anonymous said...

Great idea! I've done something like this on the stove in a covered pan (so it would cook faster), but this sounds better and would free up a burner. Thanks!

Bren said...

the veg must be on everyone's list for NY healthy eating... my baby bro called to tell me that broccoli was out in Virginia grocery stores... shame but good to know ppl are eating it!

MK and Co. said...

This looks delicious Prudy. I used to think that broccoli was nothing more than a vile weed but have discovered in the last year that I like broccoli. I can't wait to try this recipe out and see if I might even be able to love broccoli. Thanks for the healthy recipe!

Michal said...

I love broccoli and most of my kids even love it too. Roasted is a favorite for me, but adding the twist of sesame and soy? Sounds divine!

Shelley said...

Prudy, finally made this last night with a small head of "tree tops" that needed to be used up. My two teenagers are usually iffy on broccoli. It was a big hit! Thank you again, I love roasted veggies but never thought to roast broccoli! We are sesame oil & soy fans in this house, so I had a feeling this one would please!

April said...

Saw this on U Create Foods-looks YUMMY!

Luke and Mariah said...

My broccoli just came out of the oven! We are going to eat it and think of you and your wonderful family! Hope all is well! I love your blog!

Liz said...

I made this last night and it was so good. What a nice change from the usual steamed broccoli side dish!