Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Roasted Calabacitas Warm Pasta Salad

Yesterday we had over 600 visitors to Prudence Pennywise. You keep comin' and I'll keep cookin'!
I'm getting down to the last little odds and ends from Gentleman Cowboy's generous garden. We've had apricot pie, zucchini bread, warm tomato and browned butter pasta, and summer vegetable fajitas. (I think the Quiet Man is hoping the cowboy will drop off an assortment of meat next.) Here's one more fast and easy vegetable loaded pasta dish, based on the Mexican classic "calabacitas." Calabazas-zucchini in Spanish-are sauteed with corn, tomatoes, and hot peppers and sprinkled with cheese for the traditional dish. I've roasted my vegetables instead to caramelize the vegetables and bring out their natural sweetness. Tomatillo salsa and lime juice create a spicy and piquant sauce that is balanced by the creamy feta and naturally sweet veggies. This is one yummy Mexican pasta dish; what can I say, I'm an Italian that was born and raised in Southern California. Buon Appetito and Adios!
Roasted Calabacitas Warm Pasta Salad
Estimated Cost: $5.00
Notes: This makes a ton of pasta, so get ready to pack up some lunch!
1 large onion, sliced
1 cup corn, fresh or frozen, thawed
2 medium zuchinni, cut into 1 inch pieces
4 large red tomatoes, chopped
2 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
1 lb. curly pasta, such as centenelli
2 cloves garlic, minced
juice of one lime
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
1/2 cup prepared green or tomatillo salsa (I use Herdez)
3 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
Line a baking sheet with foil. Place vegetables on cookie sheet and drizzle with olive oil.
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Roast vegetables until softened and browned in some place, about 15 minutes. Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions; drain. Toss vegetables, garlic, lime juice, salsa, cilantro, and feta. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve warm.
Coming Tomorrow:
Chocolate Glazed Peanut Butter Oatmeal Bars

17 comments:

Marie Rayner said...

That looks fantastic! I really would love to make this. I can't get green salsa over here though. Any ideas of what I could sub for it? I really want to make this!

Anonymous said...

dang, this looks good. I think some of our zucchini are ready to be picked, too (I'll admit to not having been in the garden for a week or so!)

Clumbsy Cookie said...

I just love the name calabacitas, lol! I wanted to have a cowboy neighbour as well to give me that stuff. Pasta looks great!

James and Angela said...

I love your blog and this looks so good. I can't wait to make it.
~Angela

gigi said...

This is a perfect summer dish. Can't wait to try it. You are just so cute. I start my morning off by checking out your blog, then I sing the song all day. My family has begin to think I'm nuts. Every time I see one of them I start singing, "if I knew you were coming, I'd have baked you a cake, baked you a cake." Have a good day little lady.

Sara said...

I'm so excited for my garden harvest to come in. I'm going to have some great food because of you. This looks so yummy.

MacDuff said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Leah said...

Gorgeous, Prudy! My husband would be all over this. My kids would love saying the name! ;-)

Sophie said...

One can never go wrong combining pasta with this many savory, healthy ingredients. YUM!

MK and Co. said...

This is on my next grocery list. The vegetables looked so delicious. Can't wait to try it!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I can't wait for the farmer's market on Saturday!
~The Cat's Pajamas

Anonymous said...

This looks so delicious! Italian and Mexican are my favorites! I can't wait to go back to the market and show everyone again, "I buy vegetables!"

The Blonde Duck said...

My husband would love that. He loves pasta and tasty veggies.

Fantastic Mr. R said...

Come back and visit. I'm drooling now. :) Actually I think I can make this one. Looks so good!

Andrea at Nummy Kitchen said...

Prudy this looks so so delicious, two of my favorites pasta and zucchini! You come up with some amazing recipes, I can't wait to give this one a try, YUM!

La Bella Cooks said...

All the veggies look fantastic! Pasta dishes like this are just perfect. I love your forks with the twisted handles, those are too cute.

Kathy said...

This looks amazing! I'm going to make it tonight!