Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Make Your Own Whole Wheat and Brown Sugar Cobblerettes

Rev up your mixers, it's time for Tuesdays with Dorie. Put on a pink leather apron, hop on and bake along.
This week, I've taken Dorie's Cherry Rhubarb cobbler recipe and tweaked it just a weensy bit to make four individualized cobblers for my family. (For the pure recipe, head over to Sprinkles on a Cupcake) First of all, I loved the idea of itty bitty cobblers that would not only bake fast in the July-hot oven but also not be around tomorrow for me to devour again. I also wanted to go whole wheat (every little bit helps) with a little extra sweetness from an added sprinkling of brown sugar. Third, everyone around here has an opinion (i.e. loud argument) about what I'm going to be baking. This time I thought I could spit the old adage in the eye and really please every single person. Ladies and Gentlemen, I'm baking for peace and family harmony now. Oom...
You'll need about 1 cup of fruit per person. I chose peaches and raspberries, Quiet Man went with peaches and blackberries, and the two little charges took their berries pure. My favorite was the plain blackberry, just when it was almost one with the melting ice cream-warm and cold perfection. Each and every one was juicy and delicious-like a hearty, cookie-topped, crustless pie. They turned out so well that I'm considering making them again tomorrow. So much for not wanting leftovers around. Peace and harmony make me hungry.
Make your Own Whole Wheat and Brown Sugar Cobblerettes
Estimated Cost:$4.00 for four-depending on fruit
Notes: I used frozen berries with great results. This would make a great party dish, since you could quickly pop it in the oven after dinner and serve every one's favorite cobbler with a melting scoop of vanilla ice cream.
4 cups summer stone fruits, sliced and berries, in any combination
4 teaspoons sugar
2 teaspoons cornstarch
For Dough:
1/2 cup whole wheat
1 packed tablespoon brown sugar (plus 2 teaspoons for later)
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup cold butter, cut into small pieces
3 tablespoons milk
Preheat oven to 375. Coat 4 (8 ounce) ramekins with cooking spray. In each ramekin, place one cup fruit, 1 teaspoon sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch. Carefully mix. In a small separate bowl, combine flour, 1 tablespoon brown sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse meal with some pea size pieces. Add cream and gently stir mixture into dough. Shape into 12 small balls and place three on each cobbler; sprinkle each cobbler with 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar on just the dough portion. Place cobblers on cookie sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until cobblers are lightly browned and juices are bubbling. Let cool for five minutes and serve with vanilla ice cream.
Coming Tomorrow:
Tomato and Basil Flatbread

57 comments:

Deb in Hawaii said...

Beautiful! These look so good and I love the individual portions. Yep, if you move in you have to make dessert! ;-)

hoagiefest 2020 said...

They're cuter in the little cups for sure, but also customizable. I know at least one family member that would have deigned to eat my cobbler if I had made it to suit his needs! Great idea!

gigi said...

I love the way you sneak in the wheat. I truly need to do better about that. These look wonderful but I'd have to have twice the little bowl!

NKP said...

I like your take on the cobbler, a great family treat!

Steph said...

I like your cobblerette idea! Quicker baking times, less mess and no fighting!

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

Individual cobblers are a great idea! This would be an elegant dessert for entertaining. Check out my blog, I tagged you.

Mary Ann said...

How fun that everyone got to choose their own filling! I love that idea and the mini cobblers! amazing!

Sara said...

These are so cute & they look so yummy! Great idea!

Tracy said...

Yum! What a great idea to make one for each person. Although for a couple of mine, I would have to leave the fruit out completely.

Anonymous said...

Four kinds of cobbler?! Wow! Talking about spreading the love! And they look gorgeous!

Michal said...

must. have. cobbler. for. breakfast. this blog will be my undoing!:)

Anonymous said...

Oh, such variety and beauty! I love to stop on by here every Tuesday just to see what creativeness you have come up with each week. You always come up with something I just love. Oh, and I love the little musical bit, too. When it comes on, my teenage boys always go, "IT'S PRUDY!" LOL.

Great photos, ideas, and post. Thanks for sharing each week...really, thanks!

Rigby said...

Your mini-cobblers look yummy! How clever to make different kinds!

Anonymous said...

Those look so cute, and I love the idea of letting the family pick out the fruit. They really look tasty!

Anne said...

Those look perfect! Great idea to make the flavors everyone likes. Nice job Prudy!

Anonymous said...

I love your idea of individual cobblers ~ they look delish!

kimberly salem said...

they look so cute in their individual dishes! great idea to switch the fruits for picky eaters :)

Katrina said...

those are adorable! I love the idea of individual cobblers so everyone can pick their own filling. Reminds me of those individual mini-pizzas from when I was a kid.

Sara said...

Prudy, we have an award for you on our blog...your blog really does make us SMILE! Thanks for sharing your energy! -My Sisters' Cucina

MK and Co. said...

Everything looks cuter when it's smaller.Cobblers,feet, noses... It looks delicious and like a little piece of summer in a cup!

Aggie said...

Wow, these are making my mouth water. I love "cobblerettes". I love that they are whole wheat too. I'm not much of a baker, but I think I can do this!!!

Anonymous said...

That would make The Husband smile, he'd get to make one with about 1/4 cup berries and top it with the cookieish crust. Of course, he can justify eating it that way. I'm all about the berries.
~The Cat's Pajamas

Susie Homemaker said...

oooh - great idea and so many great options!

Flourchild said...

Fantastic post and wonderful pictures. I love your filling idea! Thanks for a great read.

Anonymous said...

I love all the berry combos!! :) Fab idea!

Pamela said...

What a good idea. The blackberry one does sound delicious. I'm glad everyone was happy!

April said...

Peaches and blackberries sounds delicious! Reading your blog always inspires me, I love that you add up the costs.

Anonymous said...

I love how you do all your cobblers and pies in ramekins. And I love the peace and harmony. My family would all love their own custom cobblerettes! You've done it again, Prudy!

Katie said...

I love individual desserts! I'll keep this recipe in mind.

Chef Jeena said...

Looks lovely Prudy I always love your recipes, they are always so beautiful with a nice homemade touch.

LyB said...

Cobblerettes, that is the best name ever! :) They look delicious.

Shandy said...

I absolutely LOVE your idea of not only individual portions but making each cobbler individual to the tastes of each family member. . .BRILLIANT! and Beautiful! I have strawberries that need used up so I think I will be making this again also =D

CB said...

Mmmm... I bet the vanilla ice cream was fabulous! Great job!
Clara @ iheartfood4thought

Clumbsy Cookie said...

Cute! Tetra cute!

Engineer Baker said...

I love that each person got an individualized cobbler - lucky them!

Di said...

We did mix 'n match fruit with the last cobbler. I started with blackberry & raspberry, but Brianna asked if we could make them again with blueberries, too. So we did, and then she decided she didn't really like the blueberries. Figures... =)

Judy said...

I like the changes you made to the recipe. I really like cinnamon, so I bet that tasted really good. Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog.

Sarah said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Your cobblers look beautiful too!

Jessica Eiden Smedley said...

Wonderful idea to make the individual flavors for dinner guests! Will have to use that n the future.

La Bella Cooks said...

I cannot wait to get my Dorie book I finally ordered! These look absolutely delicious.

Deanna said...

Whole wheat and fruit... you are a genius! I am gaining weight reading your blog. Actually, not from reading, but from all the baking I am doing.

Veronica said...

I love the idea of cobblerettes...it would keep me from over indulging.

The Food Librarian said...

Great photos and what a treat! I'm hungry all over again!

marae said...

yum i love individual portions too...so fabulous looking! i wasn't sure about the balls of dough...but they were so good!

Nickki said...

Your individual cobblers look so delicious! And so pretty. I love the fact you tried different fruits :)

Meandering Eats said...

Beautiful! I like how they're personalized with the brown sugar, which must have complimented the fruit really well.

Aaliyah said...

The individual cobblers are great and looked fantastic. Glad you were able to make everyone happy and laughing because you want to make more lol. I am very happy you liked it and your pictures are great! I look forward to seeing your post next week!

Shelby said...

What an awesome job! I too have different tastes in my home...and its no fun when I want something nobody else will eat!

I'm loving the retro look of your blog! It kind of reminds me of my son and DIL's wedding cake (the stripes!)

Aaliyah said...

Ok, I didn't find a link to e-mail you but I answered you about the stain remover. Just for you! But you have to go to my blog again, hope that is ok.

PheMom said...

Fabulous as always - and with a pink leather apron, how could we expect any less! LOL

steph- whisk/spoon said...

your interactive cobbler buffet is a great idea! who can complain when they've gotten just what they wanted?

Jacque said...

Wow, I want you for MY mom! Those all looks delish... love the color of the berries with the ice cream.

Shari said...

I love your idea of "build your own" to appease all the picky eaters around! And individual is the way to go. Great job!
Shari@Whisk: a food blog

Jaime said...

looks like we both went the mini cobblerette route! :) they look great, love all the fruit combos

Unknown said...

helpful resources imp source site here that site get redirected here official statement

deighez said...

replica bags in delhi hermes fake k0f27q1z89 replica bags high quality read this s8v56u5z10 7a replica bags wholesale replica bags toronto g1s63v9y58 check out the post right here d8b65o9w63 replica louis vuitton replica bags online shopping y6r36p4n47

Unknown said...

u9s51i0f98 e5p62s6m80 q7p39d1y90 l4q65v1x82 y9o87q1a42 a1l14r4e34