Sunday, July 6, 2008

Leftover Bonus: Tangy Peach BarbecueChicken Cobb Salad


This morning I slept in and barely made it to 9:00 church. Hopeless sinner that I am, all I could think about was going back home and writing this post. I almost walked out in the middle of church. My husband is questioning my sanity. Either that, or he didn't want to sit through church alone with the kids.

I'm enjoying my double life as Prudence Pennywise. So, now I'm home from church, and instead of preparing lunch, or hanging up dresses, or making the unmade beds, I'm here. With you, loyal readers. Loyal readers, like Clumbsy Cookie, the amazing (and kind and encouraging)professional pastry chef, that gave me this new blog award.
I'll pass it on sometime this week. A million yummy thanks!
Now for those leftovers; if you followed along with our Fourth Of July menu, you may have some odds and ends for leftover in your fridge. I used mine to make this fun and very portable Cobb Salad. The blue cheese dressing from the red potato salad is positively heavenly atop the peach barbecue chicken and corn cut from the cob. I also added a sliced peach, which may sound odd, but actually adds a lovely balanced sweetness. If you don't have leftover blue cheese dressing, use any dressing you wish, but you may want to add some cheese to the salad.
Tangy Peach Barbecue Chicken Cobb Salad
Estimated Cost: $4.00 for four servings
Notes: Pack some up for a work lunch for Monday. No need to measure amounts; use as much or as little as you like.
salad greens
leftover Peach Barbecue Chicken, or other barbecue chicken
corn, cut from the cob, or frozen, thawed
sliced cucumbers
chopped red onion or scallions
chopped tomato
sliced peach or apricot
Place greens in a bowl and top with above ingredients in separate small sections. Cover with dressing just before serving.
Coming Tomorrow:
The Best and EASIEST No-Cook Creamy Vanilla Ice Cream
Plus a Meme Tag for me

8 comments:

Chef Jeena said...

I love this salad so much that I can well imagine it sat on my table ready to eat. My hubby would LOVE this! Thank you so much for the link Prudy I am so honoured that you like my blog so much I think your blog is wonderful too. :-)

Anonymous said...

This looks so delicious! I wish I had some left-overs! But since we did Pot Luck (all with your recipes of course) I have all the wrong leftovers! Perhaps this was some sort of conspiracy!

Deb in Hawaii said...

Hi There,
The Cobb Salad looks wonderful! I have to tell you that last week Friday I went to a HUGE book sale see post here (http://kahakaikitchen.blogspot.com/2008/06/lemon-garlic-lambchops-grilled-romaine.html) Hope that link works! Anyway I found the perfect vintage cookbook that made me instantly think of you--"Prudence Penny's" Cookbook from 1939 (apparently she was the Home Economics Editor of the LA Examiner). It's a little worn (with love I think!) I don't know if you have this book but if you don't, I feel like it belongs with you and would love to send it your way. If interested, let me know and I'll arrange to get it to you! Happy Belated 4th! Deb

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

I love cobb salad and this sounds delicious. We went to church last night so we could have a lazy morning :)

Aggie said...

I am feeling quite inspired by you Prudence Pennywise! Love the idea of this salad, and of your menu...now if only I had the time to catch up on my food blog reading!! I can't get enough it seems!

Honestly though, great looking salad, I may have to recreate this one soon, I'm on a hunt for some healthy recipes to try!

Steph said...

It's always a bonus when you can transform your leftovers into a new dish that is delicious and actually have people eat it! That salad must be tasty, especially since the chicken has been marinating in that sauce from the other day.

Deb in Hawaii said...

Hey There,
Tried leaving an email reply to your post on my site but not sure if it works. Just email me your shipping address @dchristensen@rphawaii.com and I'll get it out to you--it's true and "wise"er owner! ;-)

Marie Rayner said...

That looks utterly delicious Prudy! I love how you give the cost of everything you make as well. Food is getting to expensive over here. I am relying on my food store more and more.