Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Fourth of July Breakfast: Cran-Blueberry Scones with Lemon Glaze

Scroll down for more great recipes for the Fourth, including a complete menu and shopping list....I wasn't expecting to fall madly in love with these breakfast scones. I thought we would have a stuffy and proper mid morning affair and I'd forget all about it the next day. But it's Tuesday and I should know better. It's Tuesdays with Dorie, and Dorie Greenspan, goddess baker, never disappoints. So you can bet your Yankee Doodle Dandy that these scones are positively addictive. I made a half batch, six scones for a family of four. Two each for the adults, one each for the kids, right? Right? Wrong. My little boy gobbled up two and a half before I could secret some away for his poor father, who misses all the good food. I certainly wasn't willing to sacrifice my allotted portion. (Remember Saturday's beignets? Sorry again, Quiet Man.) So get smart and make a whole batch and stash some in your sugar bin so you won't have to share.
Cran-blueberry Scones with Lemon Glaze

Adapted from Dorie Greenspan's Apple and Cheddar Scone Recipe

Estimated Cost: $3.00 for six

Notes: These mix up in about five minutes, so you'll have time to make them before you head out to your local Independence Parade.

1 egg yolk

1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons buttermilk

3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons flour (I added half whole wheat)

3 tablespoons cornmeal

1 tablespoon sugar

1/2 teaspoon lemon zest

1 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

1/8 teaspoon baking soda

1/8 teaspoon salt

4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces

1/4 cup each dried blueberries and cranberries

For Glaze:

1 tablespoon butter

2 tablespoons lemon juice

3/4 cup powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a small bowl, whisk egg yolk and buttermilk. In a large bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, zest, powder, soda, and salt. Cut in butter, using a pie cutter or two knives until mixture resembles coarse meal. Pour buttermilk mixture over the top and gently mix to form a dough. Stir in dried berries. Mixture will be sticky. On a floured sheet of waxed paper, pat dough into rectangle. Cut into six pieces and bake for about 20 minutes, or until lightly browned. To prepare glaze, combine butter, lemon juice and powdered sugar, stirring until smooth. Frost scones while they are still warm.

Coming Tomorrow:

Buttermilk and Blue Cheese Red Potato Salad

and Tomato and Cucumber Slaw with Lemon Dressing

40 comments:

Marie Rayner said...

Prudy, Prudy, Prudy, am loving your fourth of July scones! Those look fabulous darling as does everything else! I so wish I was coming to yours on the 4th instead of having to cook a celebratory dinner up at the big house where I work! We had the big wedding this past weekend and so I am way behind on all my blog reading and commenting, but just had to say to you Well Done on everything!!! I am drooling here!!!

Clumbsy Cookie said...

Who can blame your kid for eating 2 and half of those beauties? I would have made the same thing fo sure!

Aunt Spicy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Love the combination of fruits...especially for the holiday! They look very very good, and I agree: they are addicting. Nice post, as always.

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

Ok, that settles, we're all coming to your house for the 4th. Make extra scones please! ;)

April said...

Oh Yum! I can't wait to try your variation!

MK and Co. said...

I love all of the delicious yet patriotic food! These scones are a great idea to kick off the Fourth. Can't wait to make them for my group. Thanks Prudy!

Anonymous said...

That glaze looks incredible! And all for $3!?! I'm going to need to follow your lead!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful scones, can't wait to try them your way! I have to say I love your blog, and the music, it is so fun! Looking forward to reading your older posts :) Thank you for the comment on my scones.

Erin | Naturally Ella said...

Wow... That is about all I can say. Your scones look amazing (and completely delicious!)

Anonymous said...

I see that you are raising your little one with an appreciation of fine baked goods!

Steph said...

I like the combo of cran-blueberry scones. I think your blog is really interesting, so I decided to figure out the cost of my scones. They ended up being 2.20/whole batch, but I wasn't sure how much the cornmeal was because that was from a long time ago. I'm sure the cranberries and blueberries were most costly than dried apples though!

Amanda said...

I love your blog!! I am adding it to my daily list to read. I am scared of Dorie going back to my page!! It makes me try extra hard!! I was so shocked that she emailed me.

Amanda said...

Oh, and welcome to TWD!! I love it!!

marae said...

YUM see...originally i was thinking savory scones might be scary but they tasted pretty good. however, i love me some sweet scones, you had me at blueberry and lemon glaze. fab!

Mary Ann said...

Lucky! Your son actually gobbled them down? I wish. Anyway, they look amazing and the variation sounds so yummy!

bethanyjg said...

What a beautiful and tasty combination! I absolutely love scones and will probably serve these this weekend!

Michal said...

i positively adore a good scone, and these look scrumptious. can't wait to try them. i love the lemon glaze idea.

Anne said...

Those look so good Prudy, I love the colors and the glaze! No wonder your little guy snatched them right up.

ostwestwind said...

I am impressed, only knowing the Brit's scones until last week you are coming up with glazed Cran-Blueberry Scones. Great idea!

Anonymous said...

These looks so delicious! I'm sorry for the quiet man! I love the idea of scones for breakfast on the 4th! Thanks Prudy!

Flourchild said...

Thank you for your comment on my scones. I lover your blogs. Your scones looks wonderful!

Chef Jeena said...

Blueberries sound fabulous used in scones. They look so good and freshly baked, I wish I could break one open and eat it all up!

Pamela said...

The idea of Lemon Glaze on these scones has me DROOLING!! It sounds delicious! I love your blog!! And I love all of your ideas. Your menu is giving me some good ideas. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

These sound amazing...can't wait to make them!

Prudy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Annemarie said...

Weren't these good??? I love the combo with the glaze...YUM!!!

Bungalow Barbara said...

What a great idea for 4th of July! Thanks, Prudy!

Shirlie said...

Beautiful scones! I love the fruit combination and the glaze looks so delicious!

kimberly salem said...

mmm, these look and sound delicious! loving the glaze idea! :)

Nickki said...

wow, I just love your idea of adding bluberries & cranberries! I'll be giving your version a try for sure :)

p.s I've only just discovered your blog, it's great! :)

Anonymous said...

Oooh, pretty, and an interesting adaptation. And I like your idea for a scone sandwich, too ;)

Emily said...

I will definitely have to try these soon! I've been meaning to make scones.

Sophie said...

Your blog makes my mouth water! I love how many dinner recipes you post :D...I'm also a fan of the sweet stuff, like these yummy scones :D.

Amy said...

Mmmmm those scones look delicious. Love that glaze!

Anonymous said...

What a great idea! My family has always had a 4th of July breakfast, where everything was red, white, and blue. I think I'll bring your scones this year. Thanks!

NKP said...

What a lovely flavour combo, great variation on the scones. Happy 4th from your neighbour to the north.

Shari said...

That lemon glaze on cran-blueberry scones sounds absolutely delicious!
Shari@Whisk: a food blog

Shandy said...

Your combination sounds delicious too! I love the pictures and your 4th of July sounds like a blast. I am BBQ'ing a whole 100 pound pig for the 4th. . .should be fun! =D

Anonymous said...

These were a hit with the man/boys at my house on the fourth. I made mine with milk & white chocolate chips & no citrus. They were good. I think I will try them again the way they were intended though. With all the lemony goodness & fruit. Yum!