Friday, July 11, 2008

Browned Butter and Garlic Pasta with Fresh Tomatoes and Basil

Who really feels like making lunch on Saturday? Half the time I don't even want lunch because I slept in late and am just getting to breakfast around lunchtime, or else I woke up early and ran too far and am too hot faced and sweaty to eat for a few hours.
But my family doesn't share my meal missing ways. They believe in three square meals, snacks, and dessert, made almost exclusively by me. Even if we had a big brunchy mid-morning feast, they'll still make hungry eyes at me in a few hours. Hungry, desperate, pleading eyes-especially if I'm on the phone. They always make hungry, desperate, pleading eyes when I'm on the phone-even if they're actually eating when I'm on the phone. (That's another question for another post:why do children hate it when their mother is on the phone? Why? What's to be done?)
Last Saturday I whipped up this 15 minute fast lunch with those gorgeous red tomatoes from Gentleman Cowboy. If you love tomato and basil pasta, you're going to adore this new-fashioned, one-pot dish. The twist is that the pasta is coated with browned butter and mellowed garlic, making it nutty and sweet with little pockets of melted Parmesan. So happy weekend lunching. And call me later.
Browned Butter and Garlic Pasta with Fresh Tomatoes and Basil
Estimated Cost: $4.00
Notes: If you're lucky enough to have any leftovers, it's actually a little better the next day. Chop a fresh tomato for the top.
1/2 lb. angel hair or cappelini pasta
4 tablespoons butter
4 cloves garlic, minced
4 fat red tomatoes
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
2 ounces finely shredded Parmesan cheese
1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper
Bring a large pot of water to boil. Add pasta and cook according to package directions. While pasta cooks chop garlic, tomatoes and basil and grate Parmesan cheese. Drain pasta and place some pot back on stove over medium heat. Add butter and cook until browned but not scorched. Watch closely and as soon as you smell a nutty aroma, you know you're all set. Add garlic and cook for another minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and add pasta, half of basil, Parmesan, and salt and pepper. Toss to coat. Divide between four plates and top with fresh tomatoes and more basil.
Coming Tomorrow:
Blog Award and Meme Assignments

12 comments:

gigi said...

Now this is a dish that I could live on. Looks wonderful.

Anonymous said...

This looks delicious! I can't wait to try it. I went to the maket yesterday and got everything I need to make your fajitas and your minestrone. I felt so proud walking around the store with a cart full of vegetables. I felt like telling the check-out girl, "See I buy vegetables! I'm not just buying pop tarts and cheez-itz and cookies. I buy vegetables. And not just a few. A plethora, an assortment, a varitey. I BUY VEGETABLES!!!"

And oh yes, my kids are always starving when I'm on the phone! Even if we just ate! And it's not like I can buy a few minutes with an apple or a peach. If I going to win a couple minutes it has to oreos or fruit snacks or ice cream cones. How do I make my kids eat healthy when I want to talk on the phone? Don't worry I'm not expecting an answer. I'm just commiserating.

Beth (jamandcream) said...

My brother and I always used to do that to my mum when she was on the phone!! Pasta looks great, simple but tasty - yum!

Lore said...

Pasta is such a time saver, isn't it? Your dish looks like a great crowd pleaser :D

Marie Rayner said...

Ohh you have my pasta loving senses tingling here! That looks utterly delicious! I will have to make Todd one of his favs and then pig out on this one myself!

Maryanna said...

That looks like a perfect summer meal.

Veronica said...

That's my favorite kind of pasta dish...simple, elegant and looking delicious!

Jenny said...

Gorgeous looking pasta Prudy! This is exactly what I order at the Rigatoni's in Mesa, I love it! My kids always get freaky when I'm on the phone, it's a wierd phenomenon!

Chef Jeena said...

I so much love basil with pasta, I am not an oregano girl but a basil girl for sure I love basil so I just know how good this would taste yummmmm!

I know what you mean about Saturdays... why is it that no matter what you do during the week saturdays always seem to be either really hectic or really slow?

Prudy said...

Jeena:
Funny-I'm iffy on oregano, too. It has to be just a wee bit for me, but I'll eat basil by the bushel.

Meg said...

I LOVE this dish!!! I make it abt once a week now. Thanks!!

Michal said...

I'm making this dish tonight and thinking of you. My garden's tomatoes aren't quite ready yet, so instead I quick roasted some grape tomatoes in olive oil and threw them in. I am missing you lots right now. WHY DON'T I PICK UP THE PHONE??? Now I know how your kids will look at you when I do finally call you.:) Missing you and your fabulous dinner ideas, Me