Thursday, July 24, 2008

Barefoot Thursdays: Feta Herb Spread

Wiggle your toes and get out your whisks. It's time for Barefoot Thursdays... This week, our assignment was Ina Garten's Smoked Salmon Spread. While I'm sure it's delicious if you are a fan of dried salmon, I veered in a fish-free direction and converted my spread into a crudite (raw vegetable) dip. What is about the process of dipping that is so pleasurable and indulgent? I think dip must be magical. I offer as evidence the long list of food that you can convince children to eat with a little dip. Well, actually, for adults too. Raw broccoli just isn't that spectacular alone and naked. (I'm talking about the broccoli-not me! Shame on you!)
This dip will make your broccoli spectacular, fully dressed, and companionable. It's light, lemony, not too bad for you and totally addictive; oh so much better than any lousy packet of dried french onion dip mix you find at the store. Although, I've been known to eat that, too. With mediocre grocery store brand chips. I told you dip was magical.
Lemon Herb Spread
Estimated Cost: $3.50
Notes: I served this dip with a platter of colorful vegetables, but it would also work well with long pretzels, french bread, or crackers.
4 ounces 1/3 less fat cream cheese
1/2 cup light sour cream or plain yogurt
3 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs, such as mint, basil, cilantro, or dill
3 tablespoons chopped green onions
1 teaspoon horseradish, drained
juice of 1/2 lemon
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 ounces crumbled feta cheese
Mix cream cheese and sour cream until well combined. Add remaining ingredients. Chill until serving time. Sprinkle with additional green onions, herbs and pepper before serving.
Coming Tomorrow:
Grilled Honey and Lime Chicken

27 comments:

Peter M said...

I was doing some last minute shopping b4 Greece and I saw a Speedo...thought of Prudy! lol

This dip is way better than your usual Mayo based goo and hey, it has feta cheese in it!

gigi said...

I'm a big fan of Feta cheese but my family isn't. My veggie dip is cottage cheese, sour cream, a spoon of mayo and a pkg. of dry ranch mix. Mix it all together and dip anyting in it. My youngest like to just dip a spoon it it. I have to really watch that one! But for me I think I'd love this feta dip, yum!

Kirsten said...

The feta is a great idea. I didn't even try mine because of the salmon...next time I'll replace that with feta! Great idea!

Mary Ann said...

Very smart idea. I am not a fan of smoked salmon, so I kinda skipped over this one. Wish I would've thought to make something like this, it looks spectacular!

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

Feta cheese of one my favs. Your dip looks so refreshing and cool along with the veggies...quite a treat on these very warm summer days.

Meryl said...

Nice call subbing out the salmon with feta. I think the dip would also be good made per the recipe, but with the salmon omitted.

Anonymous said...

Oh! That looks delish! I wish I could have been creative and made soemthing non-fishie but when The Husband found out I was to make Smoked Salmon Spread he put his boot down and insisted (read-begged) that I make it for him. It really was okay, but not something I'd ever crave. I'll try your dip this weekend. Oh- and The Menu on my fridge says I'm making your Salsa Verde Turkey Burgers for dinner tomorrow night... I'm so excited!
~The Cat's Pajamas

NKP said...

I like the feta idea, and the photo with all the fresh veggies. The recipe as written cost me about $12 so it's not for every day.
What a great way to get veggies into the family!

Chef Jeena said...

I love dips and spreads in summer time. This sounds one great cheese spread Prudy I can well imagine dipping some carrot in there yum yum.

Anne said...

Haha magical dip... you're right! I bet it tasted great with feta (much better than fish in my opinion!). Great job Prudy!

Michal said...

you are cracking me up with "oh so much better than any lousy packet of dried french onion dip mix you find at the store. Although, I've been known to eat that, too." funny girl!

Anonymous said...

Love the choice of feta over salmon - will give it a try . Thanks for sharing. Leigh Anne at www.yourhomebasedmom

Clumbsy Cookie said...

I'm with you! I love salmon, but I prefer your feta version much more. I'm a feta freak!

Aggie said...

Great dip! I love love love feta!

I have to tell you, I catch myself singing your song throughout the day...cracks me up!

Christine said...

This dip is delicious and feta is a great idea!

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to try this with some French Bread! It looks so good! And even I could be convinced to eat broccoli if it was smothered in this delicious dip!

Deb in Hawaii said...

I love Feta--this looks great! i should have left the salmon out of mine too! ;-)

Gloria Baker said...

Prudy, really I love this salad and I enjoy your blog that I know. I come to see you because I really love your comments in Marie's site!
Yuhuu!! I come back! xxxxGloria

Emily said...

Perfect for serving in the Hamptons!

Beth (jamandcream) said...

I adore feta cheese but have never made a dip with it before. Will certainly be giving this one a try.

Veronica said...

I actually didn't mind the salmon too much. But I do love feta! I'm taking the dip and stirring it into pasta for my H tonight...let's see if he notices that it's salmon..tee hee.

Katie said...

Yum! I love feta & herbs, though I usually eat my veggies plain. I'll have to give this a try.

Sophie said...

feta is always so darn tasty, what a clever idea to put it in a dip. If you lived nearby ;), I'd definitely pay you plenty of visits -- your food always has that yummy home cookin' touch :D.

Btw, part of the reason why I tagged you for the music meme is because I loooove the songs on your blog! They are so fun; when I was younger, pretty much all I listened to were the classics: doris day, andy williams, nat king cole...:)

test it comm said...

There are so many great flavours in this.

Andrea at Nummy Kitchen said...

Your dip looks and sounds so delicioius! I'm such a feta fan, I even have some in the fridge, might have to make a second batch of this dip Prudy style :)

La Bella Cooks said...

You can't go wrong with an Ina recipe. I love all the veggies served instead of bread. Feta is definitely one of my favorites.

Cathie said...

This looks totally yummy and I love feta!! I'm going to give it a try.
Also thanks for having Hot Diggity on your song list - it took me way back, my grandfather used to play this record all the time when we were kids!!