Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Tuesdays with Dorie: Raspberry, Cherry, and Blueberry Cobbler

It's Tuesday. Oh, yum....Even though I'm perspiring in New Orleans, I'm all set to share my Tuesdays with Dorie Treat. I planned ahead by baking last week to bring you this perfect summer fruit cobbler. I'm committed to bringing you bakery style treats each week on the cheap-this one will only cost you about $5.00 for six servings. So join in and bake along.
If you want the perfect post barbecue sweet, choose this cobbler. Hint, hint, think dessert for Fourth of July. Dream of warm juicy summer fruit and berries, tender sweet pastry, and a melting scoop of vanilla bean ice cream.
Now quit dreaming and get to work. Be creative with your fruit base. I used frozen raspberries with fresh cherries and blueberries.
Use fresh and/or frozen, depending on what's in season. Think apples and raspberries, nectarines and cranberries, blackberries and plums, peaches and blueberries- you just can't go wrong. Start by making a buttery pastry. It'll take you five minutes, tops. Roll or pat it out and cut out some fun shapes, like patriotic stars. Next mix your fruit with some sugar and flour for thickening. Taste the fruit juices and adjust sugar as needed. Cover with the cobbler dough. Toss it in the oven and bake till browned and bubbly, and if a little juice drips over the side, it's a visual bonus.
Head on over to Our Sweet Life for the complete recipe. You're going to love her header. It'll make you want to kiss your husband. Or wife. Or grandpa. Or baby. Oh, for heaven's sake, just kiss anybody. Then go make some cobbler.
Coming Tomorrow:
Roasted Cashews and Sunflower Seed Broccoli Salad

25 comments:

Peabody said...

Very forth of July with the stars in it...cute.

Anonymous said...

I put a star in mine, too...and fireworks! Yours looks so yummy...your fruit combination looks excellent. I didn't have cherries in mine, but next time, you bet I will have those cherries! Love your posts, they are always so friendly and nice...and the photos...great!

amycaseycooks said...

Yum - love the stars. I'm stealing the idea for the 4th of July!!

Beth (jamandcream) said...

I love fruit cobbler - never tried putting three varieties of fruit in - looks gorgeous!

ostwestwind said...

The stars are so cute, your cobbler looks absolutely delicious!
Ulrike from Küchenlatein

Engineer Baker said...

Drips down the side are definitely a visual bonus. Yours looks beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Your posts are so creative - I love it!

Mari said...

I was lucky enough to have cherries in my frozen berry mix, although they aren't technically berries, and I'm so glad! Your cobbler looks delish!

April said...

I love your pictures! The cobbler looks yummy!

Susie Homemaker said...

looks delicious....love the star! so dark and pretty - i could eat it up!

steph- whisk/spoon said...

oh, you are right--this is a perfect 4th of july dessert! yours looks delish, and i'm drooling over the cherries!

Pamela said...

Love the star cut outs. And that picture with the juice on the side of the dish? YUM! I used the same fruit combo and I LOVED it.

Anonymous said...

It IS the perfect July 4 dessert! And so inexpensive. I made mine out of the half-used frozen berries I'd bought for smoothies.

Marie Rayner said...

Your cobbler looks delicious and scrumptious! I think I am going to make it again with cherries! They are just coming in to season here now!

noskos said...

Looks great! Well done!

Michal said...

i want to lick the screen. i wish i wasn't going to be on the road for the fourth. i'm going to have to squeeze it in somehow that weekend.

Heather B said...

Love the stars! It looks tasty! Great job!

Shari said...

The stars looks great! Very creative.
Shari@Whisk: a food blog

Christine said...

Your cobbler looks delicious! I like how you list the costs.

AutumnRose said...

I love the stars!!

Anne said...

Too cute with the cutouts! Looks delicious, way to go! :)

Anonymous said...

Great post. Your fruit mix looks absolutely delicious, no joke.

Jaime said...

those cherries look divine! the stars are so patriotic and perfect for the fourth of july! :)

Riley said...

That looks soooooo yummy! Hi I am Lesa's daughter Riley. I love your blog it's so awesome! I have a blog but it dosn't have a lot of pictures! If you had any ideas about it e-mail my mom! My blog is www.6stewcrew.blogspot.com

Tami said...

I can't get enough of your blog, it's wonderful!

This cobbler looks delicious! I'm sure that it wouldn't last long in my house.