Saturday, June 21, 2008

Moroccan Zucchini, Yellow Pepper and Chickpeas with Crusty French Bread


The Family Reunion is winding down and this is a very good thing because A-I'm bone-tired, and B- I leave for New Orleans this morning. I'll be the lady snoring on the airplane. I'll need to have energy this week! I'm attending the National Charter School Conference and as a bonus will visit some elementary schools that have been established by Danny Glover's foundation since Hurricane Katrina. (I've been a Board Member and founding member for George Washington Academy for the last three years.)

I've had my two vegetarian sisters here this week, and when they come I love to cook hearty and healthy protein rich, meatless dinners. (I spent two years as a vegetarian myself, after my daily jaunts into Israel's fridge-less Old City meat markets. Don't ask-you don't want to know.)

I've been hooked on the flavors of North Africa lately, so I whipped up a skillet of exotically spiced vegetables and we sopped it all up with crusty french bread. Pita or flat bread would have been great here-or even a steaming bowl of rice or couscous. You'll need something to soak up every last drop of those savory juices!
Moroccan Zucchini, Yellow Pepper and Chickpeas with Crusty French Bread
Estimated Cost: $6.00 for four servings
Notes: For some reason, the regular canned chickpeas turned out to be miniaturized babies, almost the size of peas. They were adorable and I wish I could find some like that again!
1-3 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon ginger, minced or 1/2 teaspoon dried ginger
1 hot pepper, minced or 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 yellow or red bell pepper, chopped
2 small zucchini, halved lengthwise and cut into 1 inch pieces
2 teaspoons paprika. smoked or regular
1 teaspoon cumin
2 medium tomatoes, chopped
1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, undrained
1 tablespoon lemon juice
warm crusty bread, for serving
feta cheese, for serving
chopped mint, cilantro, or basil
In a large skillet, warm olive oil over medium high heat. Add onion, garlic, ginger, bell pepper, hot pepper, and both peppers, and cook stirring often for five minutes. Add zucchini and paprika and cumin and cook for one minute. Add tomatoes and chick peas. Boil until juices are thickened and syrupy, about five minutes. Add lemon juice and season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve with warm crusty french bread, a sprinkling of feta and chopped fresh herbs.
Coming Tomorrow:
Food and Furthermore and my Dad's famous super-cinchy chip dip....

12 comments:

Chef Jeena said...

Hi Prudy, this recipe is so what I would eat. I love all of the ingredients and it looks so healthy and delicious. :-)

Jenny said...

Looks really good Prudy! I'd have it right now at 5am! Have a great weekend!

RecipeGirl said...

Have a great trip!

We have our Gourmet Dinner Club party tonight... the theme is "Moroccan!" I have a couple of interesting recipes to make.

I love anything with chickpeas in it.

Sharon said...

Hope you get some rest on the plane! I love the combination of flavors and ingredients in this dish.

Anonymous said...

I didn't know you're going to New Orleans tommorow! This is just evidence of what we've been saying, we talked to everyone, but no one enough! I'm sorry I missed this yummy dinner! It looks so good! It looks like the dinner that Linus and Sabrina eat at that restaraunt (instead of going to the theatre) and they totally dig into it with their hands and it looks sooooo good!

Jaime said...

this looks delicious! i love the ingredients and flavors

Michal said...

have a great time in new orleans! and the recipe looks fab. i'm hoping that i've guessed the chip dip recipe for tomorrow, because it's a favorite of mine from the old days and i don't think that i ever remember it just right--so i'm ready for the recipe.

Marie Rayner said...

I just love your blog Prudy!! This soup looks delicious too! I might make me some of that soon!

Lore said...

Moroccan food rocks! I'm sure this was great with the crunchy French bread.

Hope you'll recharge those batteries :)

The Sisters said...

I tried this recipe tonight and it was delicious! Even my daughters who are very picky eaters loved it! Thank You

Honeyed Hashette said...

This looks great!

Emily said...

I made this for lunch yesterday and it's delicious! I forgot fresh herbs so I just stirred in some dried basil and mint at the last minute. Definitely a keeper!