Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Horseradish Thyme Compote and Cheesy Bread

For Father's Day, we're having a fabulous man-pleasing menu of grilled steak, cheesy bread, pasta with pesto, and berry tarts. Well, the girls are going to love all this food, too. (Scroll down for any recipes you might have missed plus a complete menu and shopping list.) Today we're making a compote-a creamy butter and herb mixture- that will do double duty for this dinner. It's primary purpose is to make a melting flavorful peppery puddle on top of a grilled rib eye. (Coming Friday) But we're also going to smear it on a parmesan coated baguette and get it heavenly-toasty. Oh, I can't resist this stuff! Just a dab of the compote will provide marvelous creamy flavor, so let's get started!
Horseradish Thyme Compote
Estimated Cost $1.50
Notes: The thyme flowers are edible also. Store any extra compote in the fridge or freezer.
4 tablespoons softened butter
1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
1 generous tablespoon chopped fresh thyme, or 1 teaspoon dried
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon each, salt and pepper

In a small bowl, mix all ingredients. On a sheet of waxed paper, form mixture into a cylinder, wrap tightly and chill until serving time.

Horseradish Thyme Cheesy Bread
Estimated Cost: $2:50
Notes: I'm dangerous with this stuff. You're going to love it...
1/2 baguette, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons Horseradish Thyme Compote
2 ounces shaved parmesan
Preheat broiler. Spread bread thinly with compote. (If compote is too cold to spread, just drop a little piece into center of bread.) Sprinkle with cheese. Add a little piece of compote on top of the cheese. Broil on cookie until crispy and cheese is melted, about 5 minutes.
Coming Tomorrow:
A Father's Day Side Dish
Ina Garten's Pasta, Pesto and Peas

6 comments:

Lore said...

Oh my oh my! Just discovered your blog and I must say I already fell in love with this simple flavourful recipe. I think horseradish is great and healthy but I don't use it nearly as often as I should....and with thyme and Parmesan...HEAVEN!

A said...

Prudy-
okay I made the broccoli pasta dish you posted about a week ago... so YUMMY! Thank you Thank you! I love veggieterian dishes :) Thanks!

Emily said...

Dad would love this - he loves horseradish.

Anonymous said...

Oh I cannot wait to try this one! You know me I LOVE LOVE LOVE crusty, rustic, delicious bread .. . and with horseradish!!! YUM!111

Sophie said...

HI Prudy! Thanks for the sweet comment. Just to let ya know, my grandma uses shredded beef and a handful of Monterrey jack cheese to stuff these. I don't eat much cheese and didn't have shredded beef so I used ground instead. Personally, I think they taste much better her way :D!! Just a tip for when you make 'em!

mcbewi said...

his comment is hereover here have a peek hereuseful site imp sourceclick to read