Thursday, June 19, 2008

Cumin Toasted Tortilla Chips with Pantry Hummus

If you think of hummus as only an appetizer, your missing out on a really great lunch. It's quick and easy to make, and it's delicious and healthful and cheap. Are any other adjectives necessary? There's no reason to buy those pricey little hummus tubs at the market.
Make a little extra for my leftover bonus tomorrow. I had to make a double batch and then hoard a little for the leftovers. The cumin toasted chips are crisp and smoky, but you could swap them out for pitas or use fresh vegetables as your dip. You can brush your chips with olive oil, but they also crisp up nicely with just a little misting of water.
Cumin Toasted Tortilla Chips with Pantry Hummus
Estimated Cost: $3.00
Notes: You may have to make the chips in batches. You can omit the olive oil if you're trying to save calories. Just add extra liquid from the canned beans.
12 corn tortillas, cut into triangles
spray bottle of water
1/2 teaspoon each cumin and salt
1 (14 ounce) can garbanzo beans
1 clove garlic
2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon olive oil
pinch of cumin
pinch of paprika
juice of 1 lemon
Chopped flat leaf parsley, cilantro, or mint

Preheat broiler. Place tortillas on foil lined cookie sheet. Spray with water and sprinkle with cumin and salt. Broil, watching closely until crisp and browned in places. Flip, spray with water and sprinkle with more cumin and salt if desired.
Drain the garbanzo beans, reserving the liquid and a few whole beans for garnish. Add beans, garlic, 2 tablespoons olive oil, cumin, paprika, and lemon to the bowl of a blender or food processor. Process until almost smooth, adding reserved liquid from can if necessary. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer to a bowl, drizzle with oil, and sprinkle with herbs, reserved whole beans, and additional cumin and paprika if desired. Dig in!
Coming Tomorrow:
Leftover Bonus-North African Whole Wheat Chicken Wraps

11 comments:

Clumbsy Cookie said...

I love that idea for the tortilla chips! It's the kind of thing I would like, even to eat simple, you have the greatest ideas Prudy!

Marie Rayner said...

I often make pita chips but have never made my own tortilla chips. These look so tasty and so easy and I bet they are a whole lot better for you!

Anonymous said...

I love hummus! I'm so happy to have your recipe! And I love the idea of homemade, healthy tortilla chips! This sounds and looks so Prudylicious!

Beth (jamandcream) said...

I love hummus too!! Have never made it myself before though. You have convinced me to give it a try!

A said...

Prudy-
I love Love LOVE hummus. Thanks for this easy recipe. Can't wait to try it!

Jenny said...

Sounds great Prudy! I love all of those flavors!

MK and Co. said...

I have never made hummus but this clinches it, I've got to make some! Everything looks delicious as usual! Thanks Prudy!

Susan from Food Blogga said...

Mmmm... cumin-toasted tortilla chips could play a major supporting role in plenty of dishes at my house. Sounds delicious!

Steph said...

Great recipe, it looks delicious!!!

A said...

Made the hummus tonight! Love it. Ellie loves it and it was so super easy. Thanks... I love that you don't add that tahini stuff to it... ! It's fresh and yummy!

Jan said...

Ooh now that looks good!
Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog - your blog is great btw - I love it!