Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Tuesdays with Dorie Chocolate Glazed Peppermint Eclairs

Can it really be Tuesday? Already? Halfway through June? Please..... Someone slow this summer down. It's time for treats on Tuesday with my TWD baking group. Quit going to the bakery, join us, and together we will rule the galaxy.
I'm in the middle of a super colossal family reunion with 80 family members. I think I should shout these words to help you understand: SUPER COLOSSAL, PEOPLE. Our TWD assignment this week was a gorgeous cream puff ring, filled with peppermint whipped cream, glazed with a shiny bittersweet ganache. But, when you're having a SUPER COLOSSAL family reunion, a cream puff ring is a little fussy. Usually I make diminutive half-batch versions of Dorie's treats because there are only 4 people in my nuclear family. This time I made a dimunitive double batch version, because of the SUPER COLOSSAL amount of people in my extended family. Little Eclairs to share the love. First of all, you must make your cooked choux paste dough. If your batter looks strange and you think you may have ruined it, keep going. It looks strange and ruined when it is perfect. In fact, I had a friend who made three batchs of choux paste, threw them all in the trash (ruined, she was sure) and had to serve frozen cream puffs at a baby shower. With the addition of eggs, the cooked pastry will have a shiny gleen, and begin to look more like a normal soft dough.
After the pastries bake, slice them, fill them, glaze them, eat them. Smile. Repeat.
You can find the complete recipe at the beautiful blog, A Consuming Passion. My only modification was the size and shape of the pastry.
Coming Tomorrow:
20 minute North African Chicken with Couscous and Minted Feta Sauce

38 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad I'm here for the SUPER COLLOSAL Family Reunion, because this was soo delicious! I'm so glad you posted the recipe, because the next time I'm feeling ambitious, I making eclairs!

Marie Rayner said...

Prudy, Prudy, Prudy!! Your mint puffs are gorgeous!!! I am almost drooling here. Picture perfect, but I confess I can't wait to see your chicken recipe tommorrow! Now, THAT looks fabulous!

Pamela said...

Those Eclairs look great! The chicken looks good, too. :)

ostwestwind said...

I like the shape, your eclairs look absolutely delicious!

Ulrike from Küchenlatein

Engineer Baker said...

Those look absolutely beautiful and delicious. I'm impressed you managed to make it in the middle of a massive family reunion!

NKP said...

Your little eclairs are wonderful. Your family is lucky.
I don't know how you are surviving that many guests though, keep the martini shaker handy.

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

I could just eat 3 of those right now. You are the ultimate food blogger to even blog with all your guests!

Anonymous said...

Very lovely...the piping is so pretty.

I am going to need to feel freer to make smaller versions of these recipes as there are only 4 of us here, too. Way too much with the whole ring, so we shared with friends.

Happy times wishes for your reunion!

LyB said...

They look perfect! It's so nice to have loads of people to share goodies with! :)

Anonymous said...

What a fantastic dessert to bring along to a big gathering. The chocolate on your eclair is beautiful.

Veronica said...

Oh Prudy, you've outdone yourself! Those look phenomenal! Really nice photos!

Heather B said...

wow! Those look amazing! Can I have one??? Mine look pitiful in comparison!

Anne said...

Wow, I bet your family loved those! They look perfect and delicious! I liked your comment about your small nuclear family- I'm the same but have a huge extended so it's fun to share these delicious treats!

marae said...

oooh those look so fab. i definitely like the eclair or mini puff version better than the big ring. your ganache looks sinfully shiny. YUM!

Sara said...

Wow, these look amazing. Your pictures are yummy! I will have to give them a try. Love your blog.

Susie Homemaker said...

These ook so good! But the best part of your blog is the music...it makes me want to bake!
(Nah, your food pics are better than the music, but it's close!)

Anonymous said...

Your éclairs look perfect! Simply gorgeous!

April said...

So pretty & tasty looking! What an accomplishement to make them during such a hectic time.

Clumbsy Cookie said...

It's like After Eight chocolates eclairs! Great job Prudy, for those and for having the time to blog with that COLLOSAL family reunion. 80? Uff!

Jules Someone said...

Beautiful! If you make these for your reunion, I just want to know how to get adopted.

Anonymous said...

Well, I can only say, they are SUPER COLLOSAL delicious looking!

Tammy said...

they looks so yummy! I would like one for my morning tea right now!

Annemarie said...

AHHHH! SUPER COLLOSAL amounts of people at a family reunion!!!! I bet they LOVED your contribution! What a lucky group!!

Anonymous said...

these look great. i love coming to your blog and hearing that music. :)

"If your batter looks strange and you think you may have ruined it, keep going." this made me laugh, very true!

Anonymous said...

What a dedicated TWDer you are! Great job! :)

Unknown said...

Hey Girl-

Love your blog! AND LOVE the name... Hee, hee!! Your puffs look fantastic!!

The other Prudy :)

Michal said...

i just made my first cream puffs and eclairs this weekend for father's day and was shocked at how much easier a choux paste was than i had imagined in my little head. i can't wait to make them again, and now you've given me the perfect excuse--a new flavor to try!

steph- whisk/spoon said...

perfect eclairs with lot's 'o glaze--delicious!!

Anonymous said...

Your puffs are so pretty!

Anonymous said...

Ah, now I know what I'm taking to our SUPER COLOSSAL family reunion next month. Thanks for the idea! ;)

kimberly salem said...

they look gorgeous and so professional!! lovely job!

AutumnRose said...

they look wonderful!! I hope everyone enjoyed them at the reunion!

Bumblebutton said...

So very pretty, and what a great treat to share--you must be the family authority on all things kitchen! How wonderful!

Unknown said...

Wow, look at that cream! beautiful!

BAKE-EN said...

Wow, 80 people! I think that might be "Mega Super Collosal" :) Very pretty eclairs.

Shari@Whisk: a food blog said...

Those eclairs look perfect!! Sounds like a busy but fun time with so many family members!
Shari@Whisk: a food blog

Mary Ann said...

They look absolutely delicious! great job!

Jaime said...

your eclairs look beautiful! hope you are enjoying your huge reunion!