Monday, June 16, 2008

Baby Greens with Cranberries, Sunflower Seeds and Blue Cheese with a Sweet Red Wine Dressing

Scroll down for any posts you might have missed this weekend, like a Pennywise tip/tribute to my popcorn lovin' pop, and some blog awards. My, we're getting to have lots and lots of readers. Keep coming. Bring friends. Wear sunscreen.

I hope everyone had a terrific and tasty Father's Day. I gifted the Quiet Man a red wheelbarrow, and of course that made me think of the William Carlos William poem, "So much depends upon a red wheel barrow..." I know how you feel, red wheelbarrow. So much depends on the person who makes food around the house, too.

So, here's a copy-cat quickie for you on a busy Monday. Paradise Bakeries are springing up around the country, offering yummy but pricey fare such as sandwiches, freshly baked bread, cookies, and salads. From the menu, this delicious baby green salad with cranberries, sunflower seeds and blue cheese caught my eye. I paid my fistful of greens, tried it, loved it, came home and copied it. It's relatively inexpensive to make at home and possibly even more delicious. You could serve it as a side salad for four, but frankly, you might happily eat the whole bowl yourself. Next time I will.

Baby Greens with Cranberries, Sunflower Seeds, and Blue Cheese
with a Sweet Red Wine Dressing
Estimated Cost: $5.50

Notes: I paid much more for just one serving at the bakery. This would make a lovely lunch with some warm, crusty bread. Add some grilled steak slices, and it's dinner.

1 (6 ounce) bag baby mixed greens
1/2 cup sweetened dried cranberries
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
2 ounces (1/2 cup) crumbled blue cheese
For the Dressing:
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon dijon mustard
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon mayonnaise
1/8 teaspoon each salt and pepper
Layer greens, cranberries, seeds and blue cheese in a medium bowl. In a small bowl whisk together vinegar, sugar, and mustard. Slowly add oil and mayonnaise, whisking until smooth. Add salt and pepper. Taste dressing with a leaf of lettuce and adjust sugar and vinegar to your liking. Pour over salad and toss to coat.
Coming Tomorrow:
Tuesdays with Dorie
Chocolate Glazed Peppermint Cream Puffs

10 comments:

Michal said...

yummy. looks like a great lunch. i might try it with goat cheese, since that's what is in my fridge at the moment. i'm all about using up the ingredients that i already paid for first!:)

Jenny said...

Hi Prudy,

Paradise Bakery is one of my favorites and I've had this salad more than once! It looks terrific! Have a great day!

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

I wish we had a Paradise bakery near here. But now I can make this lovely salad at home. Thanks Prudy!

Emily said...

I want a Paradise Bakery! I keep hearing about them. We have Panera...I wonder if that's similar.

The salad looks delicious and refreshing!

Pamela said...

Blue cheese and dried cranberries, yum! Sounds great and very easy. Will have to give this one a try.

Anonymous said...

This salad looks so delicious! It sounds so good, and since I'm always asked to bring a salad to family parties, I'm thrilled to have another in my artillery! Blue cheese and dried cranberries sound sooo good together! Thanks Prudy!

Marie Rayner said...

Ohh, that salad looks right up my ally Prudy! I love salads with fruit and cheese in them, especially cranberries and blue cheese! Thanks for posting!

Sophie said...

yummy! i always get a warm feeling inside whenever i discover that something this healthy is so affordable too! :)

Rose said...

This looks great! I absolutely love cranberries and blue cheese. Nice combination!

RecipeGirl said...

I think I have all of these ingredients in my kitchen! Mayo with a vinegar based dressing huh? Sounds weird but I'm willing to give it a shot!