Friday, May 2, 2008

Pico Guacamole

Please don't call this "Pico" guacamole if you ever go to Santiago, Chile. You'll be saying a very naughty word, and you might get your mouth washed out with jabon. The truth is, I don't really know what it means in that context. But I did see little ninos get spankings for saying it, so I'm just warning you. Since you are here in the U.S. you can safely call it Pico Guacamole. Watch me. Pico. Pico. Pico, Pico, Pico. See. Nothing happened.
Incidentally, the pico I know refers to "Pico de Gallo," which means either chicken scratch OR fresh chunky salsa. Don't worry, there won't be any naughty words or chicken scratch in your Pico Guac. Just big bites of luscious tomato, onion, garlic, spicy peppers, and cooling cilantro, suspended in rich, buttery avocado. Hopefully your market has avocados on sale for $1 each to celebrate Cinco De Mayo. If not, Pico Guacamole is still worth every peso.


Pico Guacamole:
Estimated Cost: $1.50
Note: You might want to double or triple this recipe. Only make as much as you will eat in one setting. It won't be a pretty shade of green tomorrow.

1 avocado, peeled, pitted and chopped
1/4 cup tomato, diced
1 tablespoon minced white or red onion
1 teaspoon minced hot pepper
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
squeeze of fresh lime
salt and pepper, to taste

In a small bowl, combine ingredients with a fork, mashing slightly. Serve within two hours.


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pico, pico, pico! Can't wait to make pico guacomole tommorow, and all of your other delicious quinto recipes! Keep em comin' Prudy!

MK and Co. said...

Oh, rats! I neglected to get avacadoes at the market yesterday! I was just going to skip this wonderful guacamole but your beautiful picture convinced me that I would making a huge mistake...."To market, to market...."

Babs Renouf said...

Dear fans, I have dined at Prudence's table many times. I never cease to be amazed at her graciousness as a hostess nor at her skills as a culinary artist. We are looking forward to a Mexican Fiest a'la Pennywise style. O'le ......Babs

Michal said...

i am licking my lips and willing my avocados to ripen faster. i may have to celebrate quatro de mayo as well!

Elizabeth said...

DH lived in Santiago, Chile for two years. I'll have to ask him

Unknown said...

This recipe rocks! I don't like guacamole (but I love avacados) and this recipe was/is SO good!!!

Hudsonchris said...

Brisk Shirts Discount Code offers an exciting opportunity for individuals seeking stylish and comfortable shirts at reduced prices. These codes act as access keys to unlock savings and exclusive offers when purchasing from Brisk Shirts, a brand known for its quality and trendy shirt collections. By utilizing brisk shirts discount code during checkout, customers can potentially enjoy price reductions, percentage discounts, or even special deals on a variety of shirts available on the Brisk Shirts website. These codes are often disseminated through newsletters, social media promotions, or during specific sales events hosted by Brisk Shirts.