Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Pennywise Tip


With the weather heating up and the air conditioning coming on, it seems counterproductive to crank up the oven. Did you know it only costs about 25 cents in energy to use your slow cooker? This week, try using your slow cooker to make baked potatoes. Wrap each potato individually in foil, poke with a fork and place in the slow cooker. That's it. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours, or on high for 3-5 hours. The spuds emerge hot, fluffy, and surrenderingly soft.

Serve them plain with butter as a side dish.Or stuff them with meat, veggies, and cheese and make it an easy meal. Either way, you're saving your pennies.

9 comments:

Leah said...

My kids adore baked potatoes as a main couse, stuffed with ham, steamed broccoli, and shredded cheese. That's a great tip about the crockpot; certainly far less energy than firing up the oven for a few potatoes. Thanks for tip, Prudy, I am in total awe of your pennypinching skills! ;-)

Leah said...

Main COURSE, I meant. Sorry, I had to correct myself. Bad spelling is a pet peeve of mine!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tip Super Prudy. I've never done baked potatoes in the crock pot, I'll have to try it. We had mini bbq chicken sandwiches last night and the fam LOVED them. Thanks again Pennywise!

MK and Co. said...

Prudy dear,
I just did this yesterday with my baked potatoes as a side and your dry spiced rubbed chicken as the main course. It was easy and fast and the kids loved it. Thanks for the tip about the crockpot and potatoes. It's less expensive and so great not to heat up your entire kitchen.Thanks!

Emily said...

That's a good tip! I'll have to try this sometime.

Mama Mia said...

you are oh, so wise...

RecipeGirl said...

Wonderful tip! And for some reason I never think to do baked potatoes for dinner, but it's a perfect idea.

Ice Cream said...

Have you seen the Crockpot Lady's blog yet?
http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/

She has been getting me to use my crockpot a lot lately and I'm excited to use it this summer instead of heating the house with the oven.

Unknown said...

Can you bake sweet potatoes in the same way?