Friday, May 16, 2008

Monte Cristo Sandwiches with Strawberry Jam

What to make with your Homemade Strawberry Jam..(scroll down for recipe)I can't say the words "Monte Cristo" without thinking of the Count of Monte Cristo. In sixth grade, my dad stocked my bedroom bookcase with a library of classics. To this day, I'm not sure if he just needed more storage for his own books, or if he was trying to encourage the three of us that shared the upstairs bedroom to put down the Sydney Sheldon novels and dive into good literature. Proximity was everything. It took no coaxing to endear to characters like poor Edmond Dantes, pining for the beautiful Mercedes, spending years in jail, discovering buried treasure, and ultimately avenging himself of the agonizing injustices and sailing off into the sunset with his new love.
This sandwich is almost as exciting and full of contrasts as the novel. On the one hand you have the savory blend of ham and turkey, sharp mustard and nutty melted cheese. For sweet revenge, you have the (hopefully homemade) strawberry jam and a dusting of snowy powdered sugar. It's that successful balance of opposing elements that makes sandwiches-and novels- a treasure to be savored again and again.

Monte Cristo Sandwiches with Strawberry Jam
Estimated Cost: $6.00 for four sandwiches
Notes and a Confession: I used a loaf of homemade wheat bread, but any sandwich bread will do just fine. I made one for me with no meat-just Brie. C'est magnifique!
1 egg
1/2 cup low-fat milk
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
pinch of nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper
4 slices wheat bread
deli sliced ham
deli sliced turkey or chicken
deli sliced Swiss or Gruyere
1-2 tablespoons butter
strawberry jam (use your HOMEMADE STRAWBERRY FREEZER JAM)
powdered sugar
In a pie pan, whisk together the egg, milk, mustard, nutmeg and salt and pepper. Layer meats and cheese on wheat bread. Dip sandwiches into egg mixture. Heat butter in large skillet over medium heat. Add sandwiches and cook until browned on both sides and cheese is melted, about four minutes per side. (I covered the skillet to help melt the cheese.) Cover tops of sandwiches with strawberry jam and powdered sugar.
Coming Tomorrow
Sweet and Salty Peanut Butter and Strawberry Jam Bars

7 comments:

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

What beautiful looking sandwiches!

Anonymous said...

Prudy,
these look delicious! All your pictures and food look beautiful!

RecipeGirl said...

Monte Cristo sandwiches have truly always been a favorite for me. Hubby loves them too. I've never attempted to make them, but I have a feeling they'd be a big hit with my son. Thanks for the easy recipe!

A said...

Prudy-
You are too funny! My blog is not that great... yours on the other hand is D*E*L*I*C*I*O*U*S!!! I have made SEVERAL of your recipes and have yet to be disappointed. I love how quick and easy most of them are and how tasty they turn out! Thanks for sharing your fabulous recipes!

Michal said...

this is our (johnson) traditional new year's eve fare. although lately i have felt them to be too sweet after a holiday season of richness. however, they are so very very good that it is hard to break tradition!

i like them best on sourdough.

Anonymous said...

Dear Prudence,
I have a couple of questions that I'm hoping you can help me out with. I made your Cinco De Mayo beans and LOVED them. I took your advice and took out two cupfulls before I smashed them. They're sitting in my freezer, now what do I do to them? And can you offer any suggestions on doing the beans in a crock pot? Thanks Prudy!

Vazquez said...

For example, we chose burgundy and gold for our company colours - fairly traditional and classic. (additional charges for installation by a licensed plumber)Make Money Selling Scrap MetalUntil recently, I always considered my trash as trash and my recycling as just recycling. Even with the crash, the economic contraction only lasted eight months, the third shortest in history.