Monday, May 19, 2008

Memorial Day Shopping List and Menu

Memorial Day is the ideal gateway to summer holiday. It's still cool enough to play tennis, have a picnic, go to the park, go on a hike, take a bike ride, play baseball, or have a lemonade stand. Memorial Day also means it's time to fire up that grill, before summer slips through your fingers. That's what my whole life is doing. If I blink when it's summer, the next thing I know it's Christmas.
I've planned an easy menu that will have you eating well, even though you'll be out and about enjoying the delicious spring weather. Get everything just about ready before you jaunt off for sundry activities. When you get home, you can have dinner on the table in a few minutes and with very little effort. Print out this menu and grocery list and follow along throughout the week.
Memorial Day Menu
Tangy Root Beer Barbecue Ribs
Radish and Dill Red Potato Salad
Cucumber Salad with Feta
Grilled Garlic Bread
Corn on the Cob
Strawberries
Root Beer Freezes with Root Beer Syrup
Old Fashioned Walnut Cookies (Most oft requested recipe from C and H Sugar)

Memorial Day Shopping List
Lots of Root Beer-my favorite national brand is Mug. (You'll need about 8 cans for four people- plus more if you want some just for drinking.)
Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
Baby Back Ribs-about 3/4-1 lb. per person for adults
Baguette
Your favorite smoky BBQ sauce (I like Famous Dave's)
Dijon mustard
Garlic Powder
Paprika
cucumber (1 large)
Lemon (1)
Fresh Garlic
Feta Cheese
Fresh or Good Quality Dried Dill
Walnuts (about 1 and 1/4 cup)
Green Onions
Red Potatoes (I do about 3 lbs so I can have some leftovers)
Radishes (1 bunch)
Sour Cream (16 ounces)
Corn on the Cob
strawberries (too early for watermelon yet)
Plus Staples like Olive oil, butter, sugar, flour, etc.

4 comments:

Leah said...

I feel like my life is slipping through my fingers too! I can't believe school is out in like, 11 days or something...this school year went so fast. I hate that!

Anyway this menu sounds Prudy-LICIOUS! We only have ribs a couple of times each summer because they're sooooo naughty, but we all love them; I'm looking forward to your root beer version!

Anonymous said...

Everything for Memorial Day sounds delicious! I'm glad I'm eating with you!

MK and Co. said...

The ribs! Oh the ribs! I can't wait for Memeorial Day. Everything sounds so delicious! Thanks Prudy!

Emily said...

Yum! What a great menu. I love root beer.