Friday, May 9, 2008

Cinnamon Sugar Pie Sticks

Attention all fathers and children: make these for child-bearing females on Sunday morning.
The year my first little baby girl was born, I lived right around the corner from a small but charming family owned bakery. They had sinful cakes, cookies, danishes, and eclairs, but my favorite was the pie sticks. (Hmm...Maybe that's why I didn't lose the baby weight until after we moved far far away.) What's a pie stick? Pie sticks are flaky buttery pastry twists encasing a cinnamon sugar filling. They're sweet, crunchy, and irresistible.


Now, I've always made these with my homemade pie crust recipe, but just for you dads and kids out there, I made them today (with help from my two charges) with a tube of Pillsbury crescent dough. I didn't figure there were too many men out there who wanted to make homemade pie crust. Unless they are like my pesty little brother Roy, who in addition to being an excellent tease, also happens to be a highly proficient baker. (Don't tell him I told you either compliment; it'll only go to his head.) I'll include a homemade crust recipe for any of you out there who regularly shatter gender expectations. For the rest of you, (hello....are there any men out there?) use the crescent rolls and take it easy. All of the women in your life will be happy if you remember to do the dishes when you're done.

Cinnamon Sugar Pie Sticks:
Estimated Cost with purchased dough: $2.50, homemade: $1.50
1 (8 ounce) tube crescent rolls
1 tablespoon melted butter
2 tablespoons cinnamon sugar (mix 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon with 2 T sugar)
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon milk
drip of vanilla

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease a baking sheet. Unroll crescent rolls. you should have 8 triangles. Pinch sets of two triangles together at the seam to make 4 rectangles. Cover two rectangles with butter, sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Top with plain rectangles. Slice rectangles into long thin strips (Each rectangle should yield five strips). Give each strip a couple of gentle twists and place on the greased baking sheet. Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until browned. Cool slightly. Prepare glaze by combining powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla. Drizzle glaze atop pie sticks. Makes 10
For a from scratch version, combine in a large bowl, 1 and 1/4 cups flour, 1 teaspoon sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cut in 1/4 cup cold butter and 1/4 cup shortening. (You can do this in the food processor if you have one.) Drizzle in about 3 tablespoons ice cold water, a little at a time to form a ball of dough. Roll dough into two big rectangles and follow the recipe above.

10 comments:

RecipeGirl said...

I love this kind of stuff. YUM!

Glad you liked those brown sugar banana muffins. You can rate them if you'd like by going to the recipe and clicking on RATE THIS RECIPE. Thanks for coming to my site :)

Anonymous said...

Prudy,
These look so good! I remember making them with you at Orchard Hill! And they were so delicious! I'm so glad you included a husband-friendly version of the recipe! I'm sending him to the store today, so I can eat these delicious pie sticks in my bed tomorrow morning!

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

Yum! These look delicious and easy.
I am going to try those baby lemon cakes...they look so good. I have a few ideas for the Bundt contest and I need to start baking. Thanks for being so supportive to my blog!

Clumbsy Cookie said...

What a fun blog "Prudy"! Loved the music, lol! Very nice to give an idea to clueless dads, easy and tasty! Hope you have a great day tomorrow!

Michal said...

i loved loved loved the pie sticks at mason's bakery (i assume you are referring to their's) but have never tried to make them myself. (foolish girl.) i can't wait to try these out on my family--maybe for family home evening next week, since hubby has already planned stuffed french toast for tomorrow's breakfast.

Emily said...

Hmm, these look pretty incredible. I'd love to try them with homemade pie dough (once I have a working oven). Are you an all-butter kind of a gal, or do you use shortening?

Great blog! It's so fun. It has a lively feel to it.

Jannett said...

Great Idea....just found your blog..love the background..did you create the page?

Prudy said...

Lori:
I did rate those muffins and I'm going to write about them here soon. And haha to my children, who didn't realize there was a banana in there! I'll tell them in about 50 years.
Catte: You have the best memory. Will you please write down my life story? I've already forgotten everything.
Lisa:
You make it easy to support your blog. Great recipes, great pics. It's easy!
Clumsy: Thanks for visiting. I'm going to your blog for insider know-how.
Michal: Yes-masons! I've never been to any other bakery that does pie sticks. I love them and I always make extra pie crust for them. I know you'll make it from scratch, too.
Emiline:
I sympathize too much for your lack of oven. I hope it gets fixed soon. If you scroll down to the bottom of the post, you'll see a from scratch recipe for the pie crust. I almost always use only butter for baking except for pie crust. I like a combo of butter and shortening. Butter for flavor, shortening for texture. There are a few crackly cookies that I bake that I do the same thing. For everthing else, it's got to be butter.
Hendria:
I just read your cooking blog. Now I have to make the ice cream pie. Can you please describe a "crispy crunchy" bar so I can try to find a US equivalent?
My blog was designed by LeeLouBlogs. I'm glad you like it!

amycaseycooks said...

the pie sticks look fanatastic! I have made something similar with puff pastry. My kids would love me forever if the pie sticks were waiting for them after school.

Đồ gia dụng said...

https://maytinhdeban.hatenablog.com/archive/2020/08/29
https://medium.com/p/5f52f5b720ae/edit
https://maytinhdeban.hatenablog.com/archive/2020/08/29