Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Mini Barbeque Chicken Sandwiches

Sometimes I wish dinner was at 6 AM. I could get up extra early and be ready for it. Instead, it intrudes rather inconveniently at 6 PM, right in the middle of lessons, practice, homework, little neighbor visits, play dates, telephone calls, performances, recitals, and worst of all...my own sense that the work day is done. Sometimes I try to ignore dinner. I act casual and go about my business, and even pretend that I'm not hungry. I try to convince the kids and famished husband that they just ate a big lunch. When they are finished laughing, they position themselves at the table, ready for battle. After I admit defeat, I roll up my sleeves and make something snappy. There's no time for 30 minute meals on nights like these.
This is a toothsome recipe for just such an occasion. It takes two minutes of effort, is healthful, satisfying, and surprisingly yummy. You can use any fully cooked chicken, but I use my leftover spice rubbed chicken again. Keep some around and when six o'clock rolls around, you'll be armed and ready. Serve ice cream cones for dessert and you'll be a hands down hero.
Mini Barbecue Chicken Sandwiches
Estimated Cost: $3.50
4 English muffins, preferrably whole grain, split and toasted
2 tablespoons mayonnaise or ranch dressing, regular or low-fat
8 paper thin red onion slices
2 cups fully cooked chicken, (USE YOUR LEFTOVER SPICE RUBBED CHICKEN)
8 tablespoons smoky barbecue sauce
1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
1 tablespoon chopped cilantro

Preheat broiler. Line cookie sheet with foil. Spread toasted muffins with mayonnaise and place on prepared baking sheet. Top muffins with onion slices and chicken. Drizzle each half with a tablespoon of barbecue sauce. Sprinkle with cheese and broil until cheese is melted and bubbly. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Prudy, I cannot wait to try this one! I've been wanting a good sandwich to make for my hungry kids and famished husband. Thanks for all the great recipes!

mercy said...

YUM. Those look delicious. I love that you give us ways to use the leftovers -- this is what keeps meals snappy & easy. (The bbq chicken recipe is very easy to convert into a pasta recipe -- basically, just take those ingredients & stir them into cute shaped pasta, like bowties.)

MK and Co. said...

Prudy darling,
Thanks for all the great recipes repeating one key ingrediant. Makes meals so much easier this way! I have my whole menu planned out for next week! Thanks!

Fantastic Mr. R said...

Prudy,
It all looks so good. What could I do if I said, perhaps, a rebellious soul who would not eat meat? Any suggestions on how to change it up a bit? I can't wait to try it and lick the plate clean. H

Jenny said...

Too funny, we are thinking alike today, this is just what I picked up at the store to do for dinner tonight, but little pizzas! Inexpensive and tasty! I love using those whole grain muffins. Looks good!

Prudy said...

Mercy:
Great idea for the pasta! I'm a big fan of cleverly converted leftovers.

Jenny:
I loved your post today on B. chicken. I'll be making that as soon as I have worthy tomatoes.

Catte and MK-keep on trucking.

Heidi-this would be so good with mushrooms, but you know how I feel about mushrooms already. I also think it would be good with hummus, or zuchinni, or tofu, or a leftover sliced baked potato. Did I mention an onion ring?

MK and Co. said...

Dear Prudy,
It's almost 11:00 and I am supposed to be running right now,(I was too tired to get up and do it this morning because it is monday)I decided to make these delicious little sandwiches. They were delicious and came together in just a couple of minutes! Thanks for a delicious late night snack!

Aggie said...

Hi Prudy! Was browsing through your blog and I just fell in love with these (it's the simple things...)

I have some chicken breasts defrosting in the fridge, I am going to put together your Spice Rubbed Chicken and plan these for leftovers. YUM!